What game system have you tried that made you go WOW!

Malacoda

First Post
The games that wowed me the most with their settings were Mage: The Ascension 2e and Wraith: The Oblivion 2e. Not a fan of their rules, but the backgrounds were incredibly evocative, and I couldn't read a dozen pages without coming up with a dozen ideas for a game or character. Nothing non-D&D I have run across quite compares to those two.

As far as rules go, the game that wowed me the most was Mutants & Masterminds 2e. I didn't like 1e much, but 2e was exactly the superhero RPG I was looking for. Character creation has scalable complexity, running the game is easy and winging NPC stats is cake. I love it.

Mercule

Adventurer
Shadowrun -- I've always despised magic mixed with tech, but I love this game. I've been told it's my best game to GM. Unfortunately, my current group isn't so hot on tech in any form.

Vampire: The Masquerade -- I've always liked Vampires, so this was an easy sell. I've quipped that the Storyteller system is the worst mechanics that remain playable, but it actually does what it intended fairly well.

Mage: the Ascension -- Like Shadowrun, this game took a concept I loathe (belief = reality) and knocked my socks off. I was earning a minor in Philosophy at the time, so it occupied a certain amount of my thought process. Sometimes, the Mage terminology slipped into papers I was writing for philosophy classes, which is a pretty good sign that they a) did their homework and b) hit their target.

Wraith: the Oblivion -- Honestly, I had to read this a couple of times to "get" it, but this game hit me in a spot very close to where Mage hit me. Maybe the theologic vs. the philosophic. So much potential. So few people interested.

Champions -- The first supers system I'd ever tried. Awesomely fun and incredibly flexible.

Fantasy Hero -- Listed separately from Champions because of how differently it played. I had one GM who pretty much copied Ars Magica with it. I had another that favored martial over magical heroes. I ran a game at a con that featured Far Realm type foes. One game I played had an cambion warlock; a "shaman" who only worked magic that affected souls; a gold-creating, clone-building, strength-augmenting high alchemist/transmuter wizard; and an incredibly skilled duelist with no magic. Each had a completely different way of representing their powers, played completely differently, and was totally balanced with the other characters. If I had just a couple more hours each week, this would be the one system I'd choose to play.

Aria -- A very different mold for fantasy roleplaying. I first picked up the Worlds book, which is probabaly the best guide I've ever seen for fleshing out incredibly deep settings and has rules for randomizing them. It also supports playing not just characters, but civilizations. The Roleplay book sucked me in immediately, too, but it ain't for the faint-hearted. It requires a thesaurus more than any other game I've ever played. It's also something of a meta-system used to flesh out character guidelines and a magic system in the same way the Worlds book fleshes out settings. I still think it could be the most outstanding game I've ever played... if I still had time like I did in school and had a group that was interested in immersive characters and settings.

Aces & Eights -- This game actually makes me want to play a western game and believe it could be fun for the long haul.

Savage Worlds -- Maybe not my top choice, all things being equal, but I don't think I'd ever complain about it. Quick, easy, and still comprehensive. When I teach my kids to game, it'll most likely be this, not D&D, that I start them with.

Andor

First Post
Wow systems.

The first one to pop into my head is World Tree. Not so much for the system which is just a slightly expanded version of the Ars Magica system, but for the world. It has to be the most thoroughly and deeply thought out fantasy world I've ever seen. Reading it was a treat.

Dark Heresy also looks fascinating. I'd love to play a game of it. The system seems to do a good job of capturing the mad and dark feel of the world.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Aria -- A very different mold for fantasy roleplaying. I first picked up the Worlds book, which is probabaly the best guide I've ever seen for fleshing out incredibly deep settings and has rules for randomizing them. It also supports playing not just characters, but civilizations. The Roleplay book sucked me in immediately, too, but it ain't for the faint-hearted. It requires a thesaurus more than any other game I've ever played. It's also something of a meta-system used to flesh out character guidelines and a magic system in the same way the Worlds book fleshes out settings. I still think it could be the most outstanding game I've ever played... if I still had time like I did in school and had a group that was interested in immersive characters and settings.

I suppose that I should add this to my list, as well. I was absolutely smitten with the game before I even read it thanks to a review in Dragon. When I finally got my hands on a copy its density turned me off to the idea of actually playing it, but several of the concepts therein went on to influence other games that I ran.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but that will change soon. Currently writing a few adventures for it though and just LOVING the system:

Sufficiently Advanced A game of transhuman SF. Very, very cool. And free. :D

One of dozens of PDFs I haven't had a chance to read yet, I bought it back when it wasn't free and remember being very intrigued by the preview. Nice to know that it was likely money well spent. ;)

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Someone mentioned Torg. And Shadowrun. Yeah, both intrigued me.

Shadowrun was my first roleplaying game. I had read some novels (I think it was the first trilogy) before, and learning that I could also play in it was awesome.

Torg is the favorite game in my group - it just suffers from the lack of new adventures and the work required to make a good compelling new one.

Bah, I can make Torg adventures until the cows come home and take over your reality. I've always had a blast with the system--always.

Most of the other WOW games have been mentioned: Shadowrun, Feng Shui, Marvel Super Heroes, Castle Falkenstein. But my favorite:

Over the Edge.

Surreal anything-goes paranoid by-golly-it's-Interzone adventuring at its finest. If you find the Center for Al Amarjan Culture or the Plaza of Painted Rocks, that's me.

Thasmodious

First Post
Paranoia, but it was more the GM than the system/world, I think. Our GM was a terrible DM, so much so others DMed so he wouldn't. Unimaginative, boring, etc. But the first time he assumed the role of the Computer, everything clicked and he was incredible. The games were crazy and lived up to everything great about Paranoia. He was so good in this role that no one else ever GMed a game of Paranoia for us, it just wasn't the same.

Savage Worlds has wowed me quite a bit. I never liked GURPS because of its needless complexity (imo) and BRP did it for me back in the day (RQ and CoC) but I really like the way SW tackles the task of the generic RPG system.

Shadowrun is the last one. The system was crap but the setting, the production value of the books, the life of the game world (in the details, like its slang), I loved everything about it and played it for years despite generally loathing the system.

Remove ads