D&D 5E What happens if you take a bag of holding into rope trick's extra dimensional space?

silentbob1

Villager
What happens if you take a bag of holding into rope trick's extra dimensional space?

The bag of holding description says:

Placing a bag of holding inside an extradimensional space created by a Heward's handy haversack, portable hole, or similar item instantly destroys both items and opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The gate originates where the one item was placed inside the other. Any creature within 10 feet of the gate is sucked through it to a random location on the Astral Plane. The gate then closes. The gate is one-way only and can't be reopened.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The bag's carrier, along with whoever else is in that rope trick at the time, is off on a 1-way* trip to the Astral. Whoever's left outside the rope trick will need to go back to town and do some recruitin'.

* - unless they're high enough level to actually be able to function in the Astral, in which case you've got an unexpected adventure on your hands...

Lanefan

Eubani

Legend
A literal reading says item not spell. This can be passed off as a small temporary space is no issue where a permanent space causes "interference". This interpretation is a tad on the kind side but is also the simplest way to go.

Nothing happens.

It clearly mentions that for disaster to occur you need to place the bag into an extradimensional space created by an ITEM.

Rope Trick is not an item. Magnificent Mansion is also not an item.

Shiroiken

Legend
I had not noticed the change from previous editions to specify items. This is actually a good thing, as my group avoided Magnificent Mansion because of their portable hole. Considering they knew they were going into the underdark, the MM would have helped avoid a lot of wandering monster checks, and I like rewarding smart play. I'll have to let them know and give them the option of switching back to it.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
As far as I remember it was at least a suggestion since at least 3.5 that no, a hand haversack or bag of holding does nothing when entering a rope trick or other bigger space.

Inconvenience, plus: wanting to tamp down/limit items which enable PCs to carry more encumbrance than they otherwise reasonably could is a game design goal which was important in 1e/BECMI and earlier, and has just been an amusing curiosity in every edition since (it was highly important when the name of the game was dragging as much Gp=Xp of the dungeon as you can, now it is just a convenience issue).

Remove ads