What happens when ... Question about Noncorporeal Undead

Greenfield

Adventurer
According to RAW, when confronting a normally incorporeal undead on the Ethereal Plane, they're effectively solid there. They have Strength scores, and can interact physically.

So what happens if you somehow manage to bring that Ethereal version to the Material plane? Are they still solid?

Are they effectively alive again?

What about their undead abilities? Still there? Limited? Gone?

Just blowing smoke here, by the way. It's all in fun. I'm pretty sure this isn't addressed in RAW, so I doubt that there's a definitive answer.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Strictly speaking, almost no incorporeal undead are Ethereal, except for ghosts. All of the others - shadows, specters, wraiths - are just incorporeal, on the Material Plane.

Ghosts, for their part, are considered to be manifesting when "brought" to the Material Plane, which is how they are when they're attacking anyway. Forcing a ghost to go to the Material Plane would just make it manifest. Otherwise, they're completely on the Ethereal Plane and can't attack anyone on the Material Plane, nor can they be seen or interacted with by Material creatures.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The Ghostwalk setting sounds like it has a ring that lets a ghost manifest (at least that's what google says).

Can you cast Mage Armor on a ghost to turn it into something that could be tied up, for example?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Think for yourself what you want incorporeality to be. The ethereal and astral. And how they interact.

I don't think the ethereal works as a separate plane myself. Not even co-terminus as described. I don't think being ethereal or non-manifested incorporeal need to be in a separate existence at all.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
According to RAW, when confronting a normally incorporeal undead on the Ethereal Plane, they're effectively solid there. They have Strength scores, and can interact physically.

So what happens if you somehow manage to bring that Ethereal version to the Material plane? Are they still solid?

Are they effectively alive again?

What about their undead abilities? Still there? Limited? Gone?

Just blowing smoke here, by the way. It's all in fun. I'm pretty sure this isn't addressed in RAW, so I doubt that there's a definitive answer.
They're solid (relative to Ethereal stuff) while they're fully on the Ethereal plane. They're not fully solid when they partially cross over onto the Material plane, because they're still mostly on another plane. I think, if you bring them fully onto the Material Plane, they will be fully material.

Unless the DM decides that ghosts just cannot be brought to the Material Plane, because that's so counter to the very definition of a ghost (like trying to change the alignment of a devil).

Remove ads