What has Wizards been doing right?

Mercurius

Legend
And no, this is not a satire thread. Rather I'm trying to antidote the negativity a bit--my own included as I've been unable to find anything nice to say about WotC these days.

Let's look at the last year or so: All of 2010 and into 2011. What has WotC done right? Let's also look at what we look forward to in the days to come.

And please, try to avoid negative remarks as much as humanly possible, especially those that serve no purpose except to bag on WotC (e.g "Even though X sucked, Y was ok"). I see nothing wrong with expressing some disappointment or dislike of something if it relates to something that you appreciate (e.g. "Even though X didn't work all that well for Y, it worked really well for Z").

Me:

Going back to early 2010, Underdark and The Plane Above were two of the best theme books that WotC has put out in years - both very well done and packed with lots of interesting fluff. Being generallly indifferent about psionics I was ambivalent about Player's Handbook 3, but I thought it was overall well-executed with a couple nice variations on the rules (psionic powers and hybrid classes, in particular).

I thought they did an excellent job with the Dark Sun books, both the Campaign Guide and Creature Catalog - which was nice to get for less than $14 on Amazon!

As for Essentials, the Rules Compendium may be the single most table-useful book that I've ever seen produced for D&D, and that is going back almost 30 years. I also liked the Monster Vault - the tokens are a nice option to have and despite my feeling that the digest size doesn't work well for the Heroes books, I like it for the monster format.

As for what I'm looking forward to, I have Wrath of Ashardalon on pre-order as I've heard good things about Castle Ravenloft but thought I would enjoy the theme of Wrath more. I'm really looking forward to the Shadowfell box set, the Madness of Gardmore Abbey, and the Neverwinter Campaign Guide. There were a couple other items that I was looking forward to but alas...maybe they'll pop up in other products later on.
What about you?

kmdietri

Explorer
I'm really looking forward to the VTT.

I think I'm in the minority, but I think their current tack is a great idea. I hope some of the money they save on printing costs and put it into content.

Game mechanics. Which as most of what I pay an RPG publishing company for is game mechanics is a good thing.

World books (notably Dark Sun) - big enough to be a diverse and playable world and not too big to be annoying to run.

In short, at the gaming table IMO they are doing a damn good job. And with the single exception of the Character Builder (and arguably the Monster Builder) at the gaming table is all I really care about. The rest is ... irrelevant.

Khairn

First Post
Adopted design goals (simplification, nostalgia etc) to attract new players through Essentials, and continued to position their products and support with an eye towards transitioning to a more online gaming experience.

Beside that ... I got nothing.

delericho

Legend
They finished out the Star Wars Saga Edition on a high note, and before the line was really played out. All in all, SWSE was a stellar effort.

The speed with which they seem to have brought the online Character Builder from its initial disasterous state to something that is at least workable has been impressive.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I've got nothing. If they would only communicate to us some idea of what they think they're doing, I might be more positive. As it is, all I can do is damn them with faint praise.

Ourph

First Post
In short, at the gaming table IMO they are doing a damn good job. And with the single exception of the Character Builder (and arguably the Monster Builder) at the gaming table is all I really care about. The rest is ... irrelevant.

This.

And I'd add the new monster design parameters featured in MM3 and MV; a definite improvement and worth some praise.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I like what they have been doing at the table, I like essentials because I have a 13 year old player who loves D&D but really annoys his older borthers becasue he never remembers his powers. I have persuaded him to convert his character to a slayer and he is very excited about it. I am looking forward to the weeksend to see how it works out.

I like what I have seen of the VTT and wish to see it in open beta so I can persuade my players that are not local to me to try an online campaign.

I echo the praise to the Plane Above and I have others in the line but must geta around to reading them.

I really linked the Mistwell and the Strongholds article.

Remove ads