What have you hate-watched and why?

What shows and movies have you hate-watched, and why? This started as a response to this thread, but I felt it warranted it's own discussion.

I would define hate-watching as being something you went in to knowing you weren't going to enjoy it. MST3K and Rifftracks style screenings don't really count, because you're being entertained by the commentary instead of the movie. In general I try not to hate-watch, mostly because there simply isn't enough time in my life for it. There's enough good media in the world, it feels like a waste to spend time on something I know I don't like. But there are some circumstances where it still happens. Here are a few of my personal experiences and reasons:

- Being semi-forced to watch by a significant other, family member or friend group. My spouse watched Gray's Anatomy for too many seasons. It was painful for me, but we shared it. Also, for unknown reasons my father would watch The Pretender any time it was on in syndication. I experienced far to much of that show as a result.

- Completion. I had a college roommate that was obsessed with Friends. I hated it. A few years later, I watched the last episode of Friends when it aired just to see how it ended.

- Giving it a (long) chance. The Witcher never really clicked for me, but I felt it was worth at least the first 4-5 episodes to try it. By that point, it was worth watching through the end of the first season.

- Wanting to understand cultural norms (or: know your enemy). When Twilight came out, it was huge. I knew it would suck. But me and my spouse wanted to at least experience some of it to have a reference point. We made it through the first two movies with a lot of rum. I've also watched movies like Birth of a Nation purely for educational/historical purposes.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Not a damn thing. With career and kids I can barely love-watch or indifferent-watch.

I am working through Clone Wars series with my kiddo who loves it. That might be the closest I can get—-I was just watching to make her happy. Now into season 5, I am enjoying it a lot...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I usually ditch out of something if I'm not liking it. Though, there are some exceptions, particularly if they're relatively short. For example, watching a movie that's not very good is a bit different from hate-watching a TV show. It's only a couple of hours of your time compared to anywhere between 10 and 25 hours.

I did, however, force myself to finish reading Lord Foul's Bane because so many people rave about the Thomas Covenant series. I thoroughly hated the experience but I thought I had give it a try to see if it got better. It didn't.

As far as TV goes, I can't say I liked the last parts of The Ranch on Netflix. I think it started OK, but got the point where it just wasn't funny any more. There were still comedic moments and there was a nice element to the ending, but I spent much more time on it that it was worth.

For movies, my wife finally got me to watch the last two installments of the Back to the Future trilogy. I had only ever watched the first one, which was highly enjoyable. The latter two were eminently skippable. I wouldn't call it hate-watching because I was checking out the experience. But I wouldn't say they were good.

Oh, I nearly forgot. The Hobbit trilogy. Going to the first one was expected because we had to see it, right? But it was terrible and rest of the trilogy even worse. For me, it was mostly me taking the rest of the family to the movie and then sitting there hating it and eating popcorn. I think we bought the first DVD kind of our of habit, but I don't believe we've gotten the second or third.

Oh, I nearly forgot. The Hobbit trilogy. Going to the first one was expected because we had to see it, right? But it was terrible and rest of the trilogy even worse. For me, it was mostly me taking the rest of the family to the movie and then sitting there hating it and eating popcorn. I think we bought the first DVD kind of our of habit, but I don't believe we've gotten the second or third.

I had repressed that until you reminded me. The Battle of Five Armies definitely felt like a dreaded homework assignment for nerd class. But I forced myself to get through the extended cut.

RogueRonin

Explorer
The last season of Game of Thrones. I had stopped watching during season 5 because I thought it was getting kinda crappy, but during the season 7 hype, my friends convinced me to start watching again. Well that was a mistake! Season 7 was honestly pretty bad, but the final season was just so naughty word it was hilarious. At first I felt like a curmudgeon for ripping on it while my friends were enjoying it, but after the Night King battle they came over to my side and we spent the rest of the season drinking and staring at the screen in disbelief over how such a great show could end up so terrible.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I had repressed that until you reminded me. The Battle of Five Armies definitely felt like a dreaded homework assignment for nerd class. But I forced myself to get through the extended cut.

I have not been interested in the extended cut versions - at all. Not even really curious. Usually, curiosity gets the better of me.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I don't normally "hate-watch" because something is bad; there are a lot of "bad things" that I get a kick (genuine or ironic) out of watching, but that's not hate.

Everything I've ever hate-watched has been to complete something. I am a completionist. If something starts great, and hooks me, I have a terrible habit of watching it until the bitter end. As such, here are some memorable completion hate watches:

1. Earth: Final Conflict. A great first season (for the time), then the main character left, the show was completely re-tooled, and total suckitude. This may be one of the only examples of a show getting so bad I couldn't keep watching it.

2. Dexter. Lumberjack.

3. Heroes. Great first season ... and that's it.

4. True Blood. Ugh.

5. X-Files. The reboot has been fine, but the last few seasons really tailed off.

6. Law & Order: Criminal Intent. All Law & Orders start to show their age after a while, but for a show that started so great, it began to suck.

....and, of course, the Walking Dead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases