What have you hate-watched and why?

Worrgrendel

Explorer
If you watch something and hate it, but continue to watch it, can you really, honestly, say you hate it?

Maybe people need to refamiliarize themselves with the definition of the word "hate".

For example: I HATE cockroaches and there is nothing on this planet that will make me share time with them that doesn't result in their total, immediate annihilation. That is "hate".

My gods I don't have time to watch what I like, let alone what I hate! I see this as more of a "I have way too much free time on my hands and maybe I should get a job/go to school/socialize/have some 'alone time'" issue.

Dire Bare

Legend
"Hate-watch". What an odd term, what an odd practice. If you "hate" a TV show (or strongly dislike it), why would you continue to watch it?

There are shows I really wanted to like, but didn't, and they remain unfinished. "12 Monkeys" (TV show, not the movie) comes to mind.

I am struggling with "Legion" right now. I don't hate it or even dislike it, in fact I enjoy every episode in isolation. But I find it hard to finish the series, the episodes are so disjointed and the show is so strange and surreal that I am not being "pulled" into finishing out the last 2 seasons.

There are shows that I like, but only mildly, and sometimes struggle to finish . . . Most of the classic Trek shows beyond TNG fall into that category for me (I love neu-Trek though).

If you watch something and hate it, but continue to watch it, can you really, honestly, say you hate it?
My gods I don't have time to watch what I like, let alone what I hate! I see this as more of a "I have way too much free time on my hands and maybe I should get a job/go to school/socialize/have some 'alone time'" issue.

"Hate-watch". What an odd term, what an odd practice. If you "hate" a TV show (or strongly dislike it), why would you continue to watch it?

"Hate" may be too strong a word for most cases. But "hate-watch" is a pretty useful way to condense "Watching something that you know you don't actually take pleasure in but end up sitting through the whole way for some other reason" down to 9 letters. If you have a better term, I'm happy to hear it. As to the "why?", I think I gave four pretty reasonable answers in the opening post.

On the original topic, I'll add a couple to my list: Caillou and the middle "3D" seasons of Thomas the Tank Engine. Both shows that I watched with my kids that were sometimes tortuously bad.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The last few seasons of Community. The first few were good, but they eventually just became sort of a chore to watch.

The news, especially during the pandemic.

Edit: Yeah, the new Star Wars movies. Also, the prequels.

Last edited:

Remove ads