What have you hate-watched and why?

The last season of Game of Thrones, but that was mostly because I had been watching the show since the beginning, so I felt I had to see how it ends. Who knows if George ever finishes the Winds of Winter, let alone the book that is supposed to come after it. But I wanted to know the ending, and now I don't think this is how the books are intended to end at all. What a mess.

Prometheus. I heard the movie was bad. But I realized pretty quickly just how bad, and yet I watched it in its entirely and hated almost every minute of it. I skipped on Covenant though. This is one of the most stupid blockbuster movies I have ever seen.

The Last of Us 2. I had never been a big fan of the original, but I was curious after all the negative backlash and wanted to form my own honest opinion about it. I watched a friend (who is a big fan) play through the entire game, and it was just terrible. I think she was a little bit more forgiving to the game than I was, but we both strongly disliked it.

Ryujin

Legend
Since a lot of our "reality TV content" is an Americanized version of UK programming, I'm not really sure anyone can say the UK is behind us at all. We seem to be in the same handbasket.

Somehow the Americanized versions manage to step up the awful to levels above the originals.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Mostly for me this comes from shows that I initially loved, but that got worse or fell into repetitive patterns over time. Examples include Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, Bleach, Arrow, Flash, and Smallville.

Arrow, Flash, and Smallville.

That's a rough review for DC TV. I have to admit, I dropped all those shows pretty early (Smallville around season 4 or 5, Arrow after 1, Flash and Gotham after 1 or two episodes).

The Last of Us 2.

I intentionally didn't mention video games in the beginning because I believe it's a very different media for this kind of thing (e.g. Everybody has played against a boss that they hate. Everybody who plays a traditional CRPG has hated the grind at some point or another). But that seems like a hate-play all the way through. Impressive.

I intentionally didn't mention video games in the beginning because I believe it's a very different media for this kind of thing (e.g. Everybody has played against a boss that they hate. Everybody who plays a traditional CRPG has hated the grind at some point or another). But that seems like a hate-play all the way through. Impressive.

Oh yeah, I mention it specifically because the game relies so much on its story, and its exactly the story and all its characters that are so awful (its fine if anyone reading it does like it). I read all the hate online, and I never hate a thing just because everyone else does. However, I didn't feel like buying it either, but was still curious to see if the hate was justified. And in my opinion, a lot of it was. It is a curious thing when a sequel is made (whether that be a game, book or movie) that takes all the stuff you know and love, and then puts it through a blender and ruins it. It was both interesting from a game design and narrative point of view to watch this trainwreck (to be fair, it wasn't all bad of course, but I won't get into all that again).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
There are a number of series that start out great, but end up terrible. Somehow living well beyond their expiration dates; much to my chagrin. At some point, you feel invested enough to keep going to see it all end. On a few occasions, I manged to avoid the trap. Though, there were several I didnt.

Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
True Blood
Heroes
Battlestar Galactica
Ray Donovan
Shameless
The Sopranos

Sometimes, these shows fall victim of their own success. Walking Dead for instance, at some point felt less like a story and more like fan service. Other shows, like Heroes, launch perfectly and then falls victim of inconsistent writing and constant rest button smashing. (Yes, to be fair Heroes suffered the writers strike). Game of Thrones was an interesting outlier in that they had excellent material that ran out, and along with it the quality. There are numerous reasons it happens, but when it does, love turns to hate...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't think I've ever hate watched anything. Normally if a series doesn't grab me I stop watching. There are a few movies that I've never finished for the same reason.

ccs

41st lv DM
I guess the last thing that'd qualify would be Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

After seeing garbage that was The Last Jedi, & only having liked 1/2 of Force Awakens, I vowed that the only way I'd be seeing IX in a theater was if:
A) I pirated it for some unfathomable reason,
B) Someone else paid for my ticket. My $s not going to support this crap.

*Now once it hit D+ it's just on the list of incidental bonus content & is costing me a fraction of a fraction of a cent/month. That doesn't bother me as I consider that I'm PAYING for the Mandolorian & Marvel stuff. I get more than I can ever watch the as a bonus. Wether I ever watch 90% of it....

Well, about a week after it launched a group of friends & I were going out to dinner & then a movie. I was out voted.
So I stated that if they wanted me along one of them would have to buy my tkt as I'm not paying for that. I did buy the person their popcorn. But that's supporting the theater, not rewarding Disney for a steaming pile of Bantha poop.

Yeah. SW:epIX - a complete waste of my friends $ & my time. Sitting there with good company was the only positive that movie night.

The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones

GoT seems to be the most common answer here, with WD not far behind.

My spouse and I actually took turns doing WD duty. One would watch, and tell the other if it was one of the episodes where anything actually happens. With GoT, my experience is the more you liked the beginning, the more you hated the end. I only kinda enjoyed the beginning, and I didn't really mind the end.

GreyLord

Legend
The last season of Game of Thrones, but that was mostly because I had been watching the show since the beginning, so I felt I had to see how it ends. Who knows if George ever finishes the Winds of Winter, let alone the book that is supposed to come after it. But I wanted to know the ending, and now I don't think this is how the books are intended to end at all. What a mess.

Prometheus. I heard the movie was bad. But I realized pretty quickly just how bad, and yet I watched it in its entirely and hated almost every minute of it. I skipped on Covenant though. This is one of the most stupid blockbuster movies I have ever seen.

The Last of Us 2. I had never been a big fan of the original, but I was curious after all the negative backlash and wanted to form my own honest opinion about it. I watched a friend (who is a big fan) play through the entire game, and it was just terrible. I think she was a little bit more forgiving to the game than I was, but we both strongly disliked it.

I'm not sure how the events will transpire, but I think it ends in how Martin told them it must end. That means the fates of the characters in the final episode of season 8 is exactly where they will be at the end of his series, IF he ends it how he instructed D&D to end it.

Of course, HOW they get there may be completely different, as I don't think he went into that much of detail and they were left largely on their own to come up with the in between ideas.

Seeing fan reactions to the series might also make Martin reconsider the direction he is intending on ending the series in (though, remember, the entire series is sort of dour with the worst of the worst being the ones who decide how the world turns), or he may decide with such reactions that writing toward that is pointless and simply never finish the series.

PS: I think he should change how he saw it ending and make the white walkers end. It's an apocalyptic end of the world and the living are all killed off because their machinations caused such travesty their weakened state allowed them to either kill each other, or die by the oncoming cold.

Remove ads