What have you hate-watched and why?

Ryujin

Legend
Prety much this, and also much of the jokes came from rather, uh, backwards sensibilities ...

The few episodes that I did watch, usually while waiting for the half hour to pass so that I could watch what was on next, had me convinced that the writers were gleaned from the jocks who used to beat me up as a kid.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm currently watching the third season of The Seven Deadly Sins, and while it's not a hate-watch per se, I'm already groaning and wishing I was through with it.

The reason I'm watching it is because I have a policy of trying to finish a show once I start it, simply because I prefer to know what I'm talking about if and when I badmouth something. Having watched the first two seasons a couple of years ago on Netflix, I therefore feel committed to finishing the next two now. And while there are a lot of seinen anime that I enjoy, this is decidedly not one of them.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I guess I finished the Hobbit trilogy, but I hated it after the first one. I felt obligated to watch them. I had already lost faith in Peter Jackson by then, even though he was one of my favorite directors even before LotR came out. But then came King Kong which was overstuffed CGI junk and he never made a good movie after that.

Richards

Legend
Not really hate-watched (more like sad-watched), but when I was stationed up in North Dakota in the late 1980s there was a cool show called Crossbow, about the fictional exploits of William Tell. It was a half-hour show but it kind of reminded me a bit of Kung Fu, where instead of Kwai Chang Caine wandering into a new town in the American Old West and helping someone each episode, it was William Tell in Switzerland doing the same thing. And the guy who was after him, Gessler, was the Sheriff of Nottingham to Tell's Robin Hood, and that actor was great - it was fun to watch him get his comeuppance at Tell's hand nearly every episode.

Anyway, I found the complete series on-line for only $10.00 last year and snapped it up, especially since it included the third (and final) season which had never been broadcast in the US. So I watched it with my son and nephew, four episodes every Sunday while we ate take-home pizza - we made a weekly event of it.

The first two seasons were fine; my son was too young at the time I'd first seen the show to remember much of it and my nephew had never seen it at all, so we were having a good time and I was basking in fond memories. ("Oh, I remember this one - it's the one where he uses a flute to escape a locked room full of poison gas!") And then we began season three.

Holy cow - what a difference! I immediately understood why the third season hadn't ever been shown in the US - it was pure and utter crap. The story lines suddenly didn't make any sense at all. (Had you been aware there was a "Mad Max" type wasteland parked right next door to Switzerland, filled with dangerous mutants? Neither had I.) Also, magic was suddenly a thing; before, what had made the show so cool was it was a historical drama, and everything that had happened in the first two seasons was at least plausible; now we had fairy tale level wizards and an enormously large wind goddess who they - no kidding - once spent an entire half-hour episode convincing to blow this land-ship some crazy guy in the wasteland had invented across a desert. The acting took on the level of a junior high drama department and every episode we watched, we spent reminiscing how big a difference this third season was from the other two. It was so bad the lead actor, who played William Tell and had done a fine job of it for two seasons (well three, really - he did what he could with the material he was being given for that third season), apparently didn't even bother showing up for the two-hour series finale; it ended up being a rambling reminiscence by Gessler, basically putting on a one-man clip show.

But we forced our way through the third season nonetheless, part of it out of sheer cussedness and a determination to see if any of the four episodes we'd lined up for that particular Sunday could possibly sink any lower in quality than the ones we'd watched the weekend before. So that's about as close as I've ever gotten to "hate-watching" anything. Shows I know I'm going to hate I avoid; shows I think might be good and then turn out to be crap (looking at you, Preacher) I generally drop immediately rather than waste my time on. This was an exception; the series had done such a good job entertaining us for two whole seasons we felt it our duty to watch it until the end.

And even that craptastic third season kept the kick-ass opening title sequence that the other two seasons shared.

Johnathan

MarkB

Legend
If I remember correctly on the interviews they gave, Martin specified WHO would end up on the throne and who probably would survive. Other than that, it isn't specified what else he told them about the ending. Other than what he told them, they were left up to their own devices. So, the events leading up to the end, including Dany, may not be exactly what he has in mind. It's only the END that Martin told them how it will be...not necessarily everything that happens in getting to that endpoint.
He certainly has good motivation to not tell them exactly how he intends to end the series. It would be kind-of silly for him to spoil the ending, after all.

Orius

Legend
I Can't speak for Gladius Legis but, from my point of view, the show laughs AT geeks/nerd, rather than laughing WITH geeks/nerds. I find that repellent, being a lifelong nerdy type, myself.

Also, it's a sitcom, so...

Yup, from what little I've seen, that's what the show is, mockery, so it will never pollute my TV. Sitcoms eh, some are funny, but even then they're usually only funny once. They often tend to be the same sort of crap too, and if they depend on the insipid laugh track, they're even less funny than the writers and producers mistakenly think they are.

And I don't hate watch. If a show sucks, I drop it. There were a few shows here and there that I liked early on but eventually they got to the point where I couldn't stomach them any more. The two shows that come to my mind that did this were Xena and Legends of Tomorrow. The only show that I remember hate watching was Smallville, and only because it was so much fun to snark on how stupid things got with that show. Just look at some of the old Smallville threads here to see me having malicious fun. 🙂 And I have to admit, even that show managed to end on a high note.

I still have to catch up on West World, but it seems I may have to hate-watch my way through season 2, to get to season 3. I've been told that season 2 is pretty bad, but that season 3 is a lot better.

ccs

41st lv DM
I still have to catch up on West World, but it seems I may have to hate-watch my way through season 2, to get to season 3. I've been told that season 2 is pretty bad, but that season 3 is a lot better.

Yeah, season two ain't great. It got worse & worse & worse..... By the time I got to the end of it I was seriously wondering if I'd even watch S:3.
I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Hopefully they got alot of feedback that S2 sucked ass & were able to improve things.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I absolutely loved the second season of Westworld. It's puzzlebox of the mind storytelling did not do well with most folks, so I get it was a specific taste. The showrunners must have gotten it too, because season 3 is the Bob Seger to the Bruce Springsteen of season 2.

I didnt hate season 3, but it does feel like an entirely different show. Its like Westworld; the James Bond edition.

Zardnaar

Legend
Dumped Westworld season 2.

Stuff I suppose I hate watched. More of a slow decline so you hang around to the end.

Dexter
How I Met Your Mother
Tru Blood
Sons of Anarchy (good ending though).

Game of thrones after season 7 I lowered my expectations. Season 8 was even worse than those lowered expectations.

The date of most of the characters made sense, execution was off.

Remove ads