What hooked you?

R_J_K75

Legend
I liked House as well, although I didn’t quite make it to the end.
When it originally aired I started watching it probably midway through the series. Even then I didn't watch it every week religiously. I watched most if not all of it on Amazon a few years back and I'll watch it if I catch it on cable. I thought Hugh Laurie played a good part, House as a character was interesting and the cases were cool from week to week; that's what I liked about the show. Sometimes I could care less about the overall story arc from one episode to the next and season to season. Once that took over and the cases became secondary it wasn't as good, especially towards the end. Though even then it had its moments.

The Last Kingdom - Love the main character and how the actor portrays him.

The Musketeers (BBC) - Love the costuming. The actors are good. Love how the support characters often win the day to the chagrin of the Musketeers. Also, the actress who plays the queen is stunningly beautiful!

The Boys - Homelander really is how I think a real Superman would end up turning out. Also the acting is fantastic!

The Rookie - Super fun and full of real emotional moments. Plus I'm a Firefly fan so watching Malcolm Reynolds as a cop is fun.

Catch-22 (Recent Mini-Series) - Just fantastic all around. Brutal but funny, a great take on the story. Acting was absolutely phenomenal, especially the lead character!!!

All Rise - Love the interplay between the characters and how it is played to highlight the cases they deal with.

Law & Order (The Original) - They always focused on the cases, not the characters.

Battlestar Galactica (The Reboot) - Loved pretty much everything!

Breaking Bad - EVERYTHING!

Hell On Wheels - EVERYTHING!!!

R_J_K75

Legend
Law & Order (The Original) - They always focused on the cases, not the characters.
I would say that even though there was quite a revolving cast of characters over the 20 year run of the series the main cast characters, the ones that were on for more than a season or two, were pretty well developed. But yeah the cases came first. IIRC the only reason it was cancelled was production cost, which mustve translated to cast salary because SVU is still on.

The Rookie - Super fun and full of real emotional moments. Plus I'm a Firefly fan so watching Malcolm Reynolds as a cop is fun.
I also love the Rookie, what really drew me in other than Captain Tightpants was they way they incorporate bodycam footage.
I would say that even though there was quite a revolving cast of characters over the 20 year run of the series the main cast characters, the ones that were on for more than a season or two, were pretty well developed. But yeah the cases came first. IIRC the only reason it was cancelled was production cost, which mustve translated to cast salary because SVU is still on.
What really bugs is that no matter what streaming service you find the mothership L&O on, it's not ALL 20 seasons, like for example currently NBC's peacock has it but it's only seasons 13-20 or Amazon who has seasons 1-2,then 13-20. The other cop show which i haven't been able to find from the 90s is Homicide: Life on the Street.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I love D&D/Pathfinder TTRPGs, but I dont really care for fantasy literature. I had the Game of Thrones book on my shelf for two years before I finally cracked it. A friend of mine who likes fantasy literature even less than I do strongly recommended it. When HBO announced the series I decided to see for myself.

I loved the book. My default is fantasy Vietnam with heavy doses of political intrigue. I do not like fantastical magic or gonzo fantasy. GoT delivered what I wanted and it was well written too. I do think each book is worse than the one before it tho. I am not even excited for the next book to be honest. The HBO series I thought was well executed for about 5 seasons.

R_J_K75

Legend
What really bugs is that no matter what streaming service you find the mothership L&O on, it's not ALL 20 seasons, like for example currently NBC's peacock has it but it's only seasons 13-20 or Amazon who has seasons 1-2,then 13-20. The other cop show which i haven't been able to find from the 90s is Homicide: Life on the Street.
Thais odd. I've never tried watching them VOD. I wonder if it hast to do with licencing issues for one reason or another? The Twilight Zone forever VOD was seasons 1-3 & 5. There was a dispute between the owners and either a writer or a composer iirc. Finally they settled and season 4 became available for VOD. I have Spectrum cable in western New York and there's a channel (whose name escapes me now) that show blocks of the original L&O daily which supposedly is every episode ever.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Personally, I like the earliest seasons of Law & Order (if you have Ben Stone, you're golden). The farther into the series you went, the more it went from regular crimes to super important and sensational crimes.

R_J_K75

Legend
Personally, I like the earliest seasons of Law & Order (if you have Ben Stone, you're golden). The farther into the series you went, the more it went from regular crimes to super important and sensational crimes.
I agree they were better, you don't see them as much in re-runs. Wish I could remember what channel it was on that has them all cause I caught a few not long ago. Doesn't help that its on 20 different channels and you can catch an episode any hour of the day somewhere. I prefer the Logan & Briscoe era myself, the episode where Logan shoves the donut down the perps mouth in the squad room is great.

One thing that gets me about any of them is that in the later years c. 2000 and forward they still have the old telephone ring sound effect, Id imagine they've long since got new phones.

Remove ads