D&D 5E What I want: 17 books or book series (and two boxes) for a Third Golden Age

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I'm only saying that the prevalence of pre-published campaign settings in D&D culture has a corporatist aspect to it.

I think that ignores the history of roleplaying games. People want campaign settings because they want to play in worlds that have history and depth. People want campaign settings because it makes it easier for them. GDW started out putting out a generic sci-fi system and ended up publishing the Traveller setting that has far outlasted the rules that started it, because people loved the setting.

Not everyone who plays D&D has 10 or more hours a week to create their own content. I used to. But not anymore. Now I may have bursts of time and creativity when I can spend three or four hours in a week, followed by a couple weeks where I have no time. That means I need professionally-produced game materials that I can use with little tinkering (though I always tinker a bit). Maybe that makes me an RPG dilettante. But if the hobby were confined to long-time players who devoted the equivalent of a part-time job to running their game, it would be a very, very small hobby indeed.

Why? I could knock out a small town like Sandpoint in 15 minutes. Maybe I'd steal the map, but just copying it wholescale separate from the rest of the universe seems incredibly derivative without the advantages of that derivativeness.
What you say sounds like an either-or. Then you say you might use the map.But taking the map, is part of this method (which you call half-baked)...I'm only taking what I actually own. All I have about Sandpoint is a town map with a few labeled buildings, and like a half-page of info. All I actually own is the Beginner Box. The rest I will entirely make up, as needed. Even though, for all I know, there may all sorts of references to Sandpoint in the Pathfinder campaign setting materials, the rest of Golarion has nothing to do with my world.In this method of world-creation, the building of this world is adventure driven. Nothing exists until an adventure calls for it.Because it blithely and unashamedly stitches together bits and pieces from whatever I own, this method supersedes "collectorism", which is another corporatist influence in D&D culture.
And instead of ending up with a coherent world, you end up with a mess; what are gnomes like?
Nah, it's all about adventures and dungeoneering. It's adventure-driven, not worldbook-fluff-driven.In regard to my campaign: Who cares what gnomes are like? They're like however they're described in whatever book I own which describes gnomes. Actually, the ruleset I'm using (D&D Basic Rules) don't even have gnomes, so they're not even a PC race in my world yet. So even if they're encounterd in one of the few adventures I own, it's just assumed they're like we know gnomes to be in D&D.In regard to a randomly rolled gnome-dominated world. The gnomes are just like they're described in the PHB--it's just that they're the most common race on the whole planet.
why do we have completely redundant gods?
The player isn't a cleric, so the gods haven't come up. If or when gods are necessary, the player will be welcome to choose any of the gods from the Basic Rules, but without the Forgotten Realms-specific names. For now, they'd be called "the god of life", the "god of war", and so forth.
why did we travel west to fight the orc invasion when west is Glantri?
Glantri paid the orcs a "protection fee" to bypass their country. Glantrians are like that.Coherence can be invented as I go. I mean, the published D&D worlds have used all sorts of zany ret-cons to maintain coherence.
The World Builder's Guide comes to mind; it's a shame it wasn't released in PDF. It's an ambitious goal, that really needs to be a goal in and of itself; it's unlikely to be worth in-game the effort it took to make it out of game.
I don't think you and I disagree that homebrewing and kitbashing can be good and useful and fun. What we disagree is how central it is, or could be, to D&D culture.
No. Just no. It has all the disadvantages of playing with a DM whose wild ideas have exceeded his ability to make them concrete and playable, without the advantages of the DM actually having some vision. Taking a DM who doesn't know what he wants to play and handing him "a gothic horror theme, with a Roman Empire-style civilization, where gnomes are the primary race" is a sick joke that nobody who has to play with him is going to take seriously.
All it means at first is that Lost Mines of Phandelver uses the Sanity rules. And that all humans in the adventure are replaced with gnomes, and all gnomes with humans. And that the Sword Coast is called Gladius Oram, and is a frontier region of the Empire. He can handle it.It sounds like you have demanding players.
Okay. I don't think it profits players or WotC to encourage this too much.
Okay, you think that.
So you're taking a story centered around a certain set of gods, around a certain history, and think you can wave your hand and substitute a whole new set of gods and new history, it won't seem weird at all?
The D&D Worlds are weird. It turns out that in the Sword Coast, the Celtic gods are known by different names.
How do you adapt an adventure path that depends on nobody getting spells from the gods for 300 years to Faerun anyway?
In the back of the 5e War of the Lance, there's a localization appendix suggesting that if you run this adventure in an existing campaign, then have a cataclysm happen off screen, disappear the gods, and move your campaign forward 300 years. Your existing characters have died of old age, or died in the cataclysm. But destiny brought their legacy forward, and a new group of heroes who are descendants (blood-wise or spiritually) of that earlier generation have arisen in this crucial moment. The new heroes have exactly the same stats, but a slightly different name. And there's a chart giving challenge level adjustments to make the adventure suitable for higher level characters.
I don't think that hacking together preexisting pieces makes a more fun world for players and DM then playing in a world that is in some sense a coherent whole.
I don't want to compare which is more fun. The kitbashed method is what I'm using for my new campaign. All it matters is whether it's fun for me and my gaming group.I share this method and prefer that it would be presented in the DMG as one of four methods for making a campaign and world.
I'm pretty sure history backs me up in saying that the time and effort spent building a generic D&D world does not pay back at the table, though it may be fun as a thing in and of itself.
It sounds like you're using the word "generic" in another way now. Are only published worlds available from professionalized companies not "generic"?

Last edited:

prosfilaes

Adventurer
What you say sounds like an either-or. Then you say you might use the map.

The either-or is your problem.

Because it blithely and unashamedly stitches together bits and pieces from whatever I own, this method supersedes "collectorism", which is another corporatist influence in D&D culture.

Dial down your dialectic. People buy books not because of "corporatism" but because it's fun, it's interesting reading, it means that they have a resource on whatever subject they want. Having books set in fantasy Egypt make it easier to drop in bits of fantasy Egypt in their campaign. People buy books because they want to, not because some corporation is forcing them to.

Nah, it's all about adventures and dungeoneering. It's adventure-driven, not worldbook-fluff-driven.

It's not world-driven. I'm not understanding why it's better to make the world piecemeal then to just set it in Golarion or the Forgotten Realms if you don't care about the world.

The D&D Worlds are weird. It turns out that in the Sword Coast, the Celtic gods are known by different names.

Which is lousy world-building. The Celtic gods aren't just a pile of names, and you can't just switch out one name for another.

In the back of the 5e War of the Lance, there's a localization appendix suggesting that if you run this adventure in an existing campaign, then have a cataclysm happen off screen, disappear the gods, and move your campaign forward 300 years. Your existing characters have died of old age, or died in the cataclysm. But destiny brought their legacy forward, and a new group of heroes who are descendants (blood-wise or spiritually) of that earlier generation have arisen in this crucial moment. The new heroes have exactly the same stats, but a slightly different name.

Because every player loves his character dying by DM fiat, and then being replaced by one that's almost exactly the same. Not to mention that many people are attached to their campaign worlds, and advancing a world 300 years in an even slightly realistic manner is a difficult challenge.

Again, the audience for this is minimal, and the work involved in doing this is great.

And there's a chart giving challenge level adjustments to make the adventure suitable for higher level characters.

You can't do that. Higher level characters are different qualitatively as well as quantitatively. You have to redesign things to keep in mind that they can fly and teleport.

It sounds like you're using the word "generic" in another way now. Are only published worlds available from professionalized companies not "generic"?

Huh? Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Mystara are pretty generic, as demonstrated by the fact that adventures can and have been moved from one to another with a slight change of names. Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Spelljammer are not generic; you can't easily take an adventure from one of those and drop it into another setting. If you just drop in pieces of existing worlds, then you'll get a generic setting; if you start with a strong distinct idea, then you probably won't.

The either-or is your problem.

That's true. I'm devoted to evolving the either-or into a spectrum.

People buy books not because of "corporatism" but because it's fun, it's interesting reading, it means that they have a resource on whatever subject they want. ... People buy books because they want to, not because some corporation is forcing them to.

It's a touchy subject. Many many people would also say "people eat at McDonalds because they like the taste, they like the food, and the price is right."

Looking at the trajectory of eating systems, and the role of advertising-driving consciousness, there's more to it than that.

Still, I don't dislike Hasbro/WotC workers and management, nor do I dislike 5E, nor do I dislike the published settings of the D&D Multiverse. I am expressing a preference that D&D offerings and culture continue to evolve.

I'm not understanding why it's better to make the world piecemeal then to just set it in Golarion or the Forgotten Realms if you don't care about the world.

I wouldn't say it's better. I feel there could be a qualitative diffference. If I run a campaign in Golarion or Toril, then there's a feeling that the world isn't really my own, and that its divergence from canon makes it just a "fan work", and none of my investment in that world can be used for anything except my local gaming group, and maybe some fan-articles on the web. Sure, there are plusses to published worlds...Dragonlance has a warm feel to it...and it could be fun to interact with the places where Driz'zt roamed. I'm not really opposed to anyone else doing that. I used to do that. And I would like the published settings to flourish...but without that pre-published mindset being embedded into the core rules.

Yet if I'd written the DMG, I would include "using a published setting" as one of four ways to build a campaign.

The Celtic gods aren't just a pile of names, and you can't just switch out one name for another.

I was raised on Mystara, where the Immortals have different aspects which are worshipped under entirely different names by different cultures. For example, the Immortals whic the quasi-Celtic culture of the Kingdom of Robrenn worships as Arduinna, Belnos, Belsamas, Breig, Cernuinn, Leug, Nyt, Taranos, and Tuatis, are the same Immortals who are known by different names in other countries.

You can't do that. Higher level characters are different qualitatively as well as quantitatively. You have to redesign things to keep in mind that they can fly and teleport.

Maybe you can't do that. Maybe Hasbro/WotC can't do that. I could do that. I could make a 1st-level version of Tomb of Horrors.

Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Mystara are pretty generic, as demonstrated by the fact that adventures can and have been moved from one to another with a slight change of names. Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Spelljammer are not generic; you can't easily take an adventure from one of those and drop it into another setting. If you just drop in pieces of existing worlds, then you'll get a generic setting; if you start with a strong distinct idea, then you probably won't.

Okay, I understand now that when you said: "I'm pretty sure history backs me up in saying that the time and effort spent building a generic D&D world does not pay back at the table", you meant: "building any kind of D&D world (whether it be standard D&D fantasy, or distinct worlds like Dark Sun) does not pay back at the table."

I think that ignores the history of roleplaying games. People want campaign settings because they want to play in worlds that have history and depth. People want campaign settings because it makes it easier for them. GDW started out putting out a generic sci-fi system and ended up publishing the Traveller setting that has far outlasted the rules that started it, because people loved the setting.

What you say makes sense. There have been campaign settings paired with the rules since the start. World of Greyhawk, Blackmoor, the Known World.

I'm striving to initiate a new thing, which has not been hard-wired into any edition of D&D yet. A new culture of kit-bashing which is built into the game.

Still, I like the D&D Multiverse mega-settings and its worlds, and I would like these pre-published settings to flourish alongside the proposed kitbashing culture.

Not everyone who plays D&D has 10 or more hours a week to create their own content. I used to. But not anymore. Now I may have bursts of time and creativity when I can spend three or four hours in a week, followed by a couple weeks where I have no time. That means I need professionally-produced game materials that I can use with little tinkering (though I always tinker a bit). Maybe that makes me an RPG dilettante. But if the hobby were confined to long-time players who devoted the equivalent of a part-time job to running their game, it would be a very, very small hobby indeed.

Well, I'm not advocating banning pre-published settings. Just a shift to a more vigorous support for the worldbuilding and mix-and-match methods.

It's highly debatable how much of that truly came from the OGL.

Almost anything can be "highly debatable".

Even if WotC actually made extra profit from the OGL in the 3.x era, it's overall a big fat minus since Pathfinder appeared as a final consequence.

What's good for the game and its culture, is not always the same as what's lucrative for a particular economic body who is stewarding the IP of that game. There is of course an interplay between economic success and cultural flourishing, but they're not synonymous.

Don't you think that Paizo is a quality steward of the D&D game? If the Hasbro faction of D&D stewarship fails and falls, then I say: so what? Pathfinder and Paizo would continue--it's D&D under a different name.

Still, I have suggested ways for Hasbro and the D&D brand to not sink. They are unorthodox suggestions, yet they are expressed with goodwill.

In hindsight reading some later interviews with former WotC staff from that time responsible for the OGL, it seems more and more as if it was never ended as being a good business decision but rather passionate gamer employees working against their own employer to "save D&D" even if it means going against their employers financial interests.

Is this Adkinson's perspective?

Is this your perspective? ...That Dancey was just a loose canon who endangered the fiscal assets of his employer?

What is your personal wish? Do you really prefer that the 3E RPG blossoming never happened?

I remember the end of TSR. If it hadn't been for the OGL, 3E may well have been only a minor success, with D&D shrinking into an even smaller hobby, like wargaming or Shrinky-Dinks.

And that's exactly what happened. While a lot of brands switched to D20, the additional profit for WotC from that was much lower than expected.

Do you have a source for this?

I remember a WotC person saying that the 3.0E core books sold very very well.

And the market was flooded with D20 products that were 90% crap

I feel this is an overstatement. If I listed the thousands of d20 products that were published from 2000 to 2003, I suspect that the majority of them were interesting.

Yeah, I know that there were some dregs, yet I prefer that WotC had initiated a "Quality Mark" association with publishers who produced quality work (Green Ronin, Malhavoc), instead of disrupting the continuity of the 3.0 by spurring everyone to buy the rulebooks all over again. That's when I stopped patronizing D&D.

I'm not speaking only in hindsight. I suggest that in early 2015, Hasbro/WotC initiate a Quality Mark Association (in partnership with Hasbro's associates such as Paizo, Green Ronin, and Necromancer; not just with Hasbro's contractors such as Kobold Press and Sasquatch Studios), while at the same time releasing the 5E SRD in a way that is at least as open as the OGL.

to the point it collapsed because even die hard D20 fans wouldn't buy any more third party products due to being burned way too often.

A Quality Mark Association would be a way to educate game distributors, game stores, and game customers/participants.

And a sure way to bankruptcy for all those publishers, since each campaign world has a smaller and smaller subset of pontential customers. TSR broke it's back to due supporting to many campaign settings and thus publishing each expensive to make supplement for only a small subset of their overall customers. And these were even official campaign settings.

That's an old Dancey truism. It was true for TSR. Yet every truism has its limits. It is possible for enthusiasm and interest to blossom again even within existing TRPG hobbyists, like it did during the evolution from 2E and 3E. And it is even possible for the TRPG hobby and culture to grow. Despite the prevailing wisdom that TRPG is only a small geeky subculture, TRPG culture could grow and grow throughout this century. In that case, more and more diversity could be supported.

Catan is laying the groundwork for more and more people to become potential TRPGers. More and more people can now stomach a little more gearheadness and story-based play.

(IN FACT: And I thank you for this idea! If I were head of the D&D brand team--I would vigorously seek out a licensing agreement from Kosmos games to make a D&D Settlers of Catan roleplaying game.)

There's a reason most D20 publishers were companies people were running as semi-professional hobby beside their real jobs, as they never made enough to pay even one full time employee (with only very few exceptions).

That's not a bad thing.

I am only opposed due to my fear it would kill the real D&D due to selling that many more copies

This is the kind of thinking which turns me off to the D&D culture-as-it-exists.

If the "real D&D" fell, then Pathfinder and others would take up the mantle.

I am more concerned with the health, flourishing, diversity, and open creativity of the D&D and TRPG culture, than with the shareholder returns for the economic entity which holds the words "Dungeons & Dragons" and its multiverse of worlds.

Mirtek, if the thinking you express in this post were to become the prevalent thinking among TRPG participants, then I would remove myself from participating in, or patronizing, that thoroughly corporatized culture. I would leave the D&D Brand and the D&D Worlds (even my beloved Mystara) as dead.

I'm waiting until spring of 2015 to see whether Hasbro D&D has walked away from my values, or whether there can be rapprochement. The crux will be in the details of if and how Open are the system and its worlds.

Last edited:

With that, I need to take a break from this thread. I have some game prep to do for my 5E Sandpoint session tomorrow.

If there's more to say, you're welcome to post. I might respond at some later day.

Thanks to all who responded, even the snarky ones. In real life, I'd have fun gaming with each of you.

Mirtek

Hero
What's good for the game and its culture, is not always the same as what's lucrative for a particular economic body who is stewarding the IP of that game.
I agree. But since the particular economic body is not in it to satisfy some idealistic goal but solely for it's own economic result, why should they chose a course that may strengthen the game and it's culture but is bad for themselves?
Don't you think that Paizo is a quality steward of the D&D game?
I do.
If the Hasbro faction of D&D stewarship fails and falls, then I say: so what? Pathfinder and Paizo would continue--it's D&D under a different name.
Yet why should WotC care about that? Or follow a course that even might create a "second Paizo"? They are in for their own financial gain and if they fail they have no reason to care whether the game dies with them or someone else picks up the torch
Is this Adkinson's perspective?

Is this your perspective? ...That Dancey was just a loose canon who endangered the fiscal assets of his employer?
It's my reading between the lines from their later interviews. They tricked "the suits" into believing the OGL was a good thing that would boost profits, when in truth the only cared about "saving D&D for the gamers".
That's an old Dancey truism. It was true for TSR.
It was also true for WotC. The various FR splatbooks were always under fire by "the suits" because their low number of sales compared to core splat books. And that was while WotC only had two settings out at the time and FR was the best selling of them and yet the splat books were always unter threat of being stopped (see the essay from Sean K. Reynolds).
I am more concerned with the health, flourishing, diversity, and open creativity of the D&D and TRPG culture, than with the shareholder returns for the economic entity which holds the words "Dungeons & Dragons" and its multiverse of worlds.
And why would you expect that the shareholders of the econimic entity should just "take one for the team" and have said entity follow a course contrary to their own financial gain just to strengthen the D&D and TRPG culture?
I'm waiting until spring of 2015 to see whether Hasbro D&D has walked away from my values, or whether there can be rapprochement.
Why would a company ever follow that values? That's diametrical opposed from wanting to succeed as a company. That's how a non proft organization might behave, but not a company.

Remove ads