• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What I'd really like to see Paizo do with Pathfinder is...

Twowolves

Explorer
Not well, considering they've not had a new product in 3 years...

I really don't understand what your point here is. They put out RAR, limited it to 1000 copies at $75 each and sold out pretty much immediately. They did it again with City of Brass.

Then WotC announced 4th ed and a suicidally restrictive GSL, so NG decided not to participate.

What does one have to do with the other in this case?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
This may be something better explained (if you feel like doing so) by forking the thread but, wow- you must have something in mind that's way more over-the-top than what I would be looking for in a AP boxed set. Either that or I just have no conception of realistic publishing costs in today's market.

Since Paizo already did a compiled AP quite well (IMO) with the Shackled City hardcover, wouldn't a boxed set version be pretty similar- just with typical box elements like deluxe maps, handouts, etc.- but even easier as it would be soft cover rather than hardcover? Do those 'box elements' really inflate the cost that much?

Yeah; there's a lot of complications when you turn a product from a single book into a bunch of books, cards, maps, inserts, minis, dice, and whatever else and then put it into a box. A ridiculous amount of complications, in fact. Books are already on a relatively razor-thin profit margin, especially if they're full color and high quality. A boxed set up to the same standard of quality to the other books Paizo makes would be prohibitively tough to pull off. We could certainly cut costs and do things like reprint art, print in black and white, print on cheaper paper, use flimsy cardboard for the box itself, and so on, but that's not really something I want to do. If we do something risky and bold like make a boxed set, I'd rather not skimp on the production value. And therein lies the catch-22.

concerro

Explorer
This may be something better explained (if you feel like doing so) by forking the thread but, wow- you must have something in mind that's way more over-the-top than what I would be looking for in a AP boxed set. Either that or I just have no conception of realistic publishing costs in today's market.

Since Paizo already did a compiled AP quite well (IMO) with the Shackled City hardcover, wouldn't a boxed set version be pretty similar- just with typical box elements like deluxe maps, handouts, etc.- but even easier as it would be soft cover rather than hardcover? Do those 'box elements' really inflate the cost that much?
I was to lazy to look for the thread, thanks.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Yeah; there's a lot of complications when you turn a product from a single book into a bunch of books, cards, maps, inserts, minis, dice, and whatever else and then put it into a box. A ridiculous amount of complications, in fact. Books are already on a relatively razor-thin profit margin, especially if they're full color and high quality. A boxed set up to the same standard of quality to the other books Paizo makes would be prohibitively tough to pull off. We could certainly cut costs and do things like reprint art, print in black and white, print on cheaper paper, use flimsy cardboard for the box itself, and so on, but that's not really something I want to do. If we do something risky and bold like make a boxed set, I'd rather not skimp on the production value. And therein lies the catch-22.

You know, one way to finance it would be pre-orders (ala Ptolus). If you hit a certain threshold, make the project a go. If not, refund people's money and you can forever say "we tried". Paizo has such an excellent quality reputation that I'm sure a lot of people would order on faith (although $500, if you were serious, may be pushing it).

Stormonu

Legend
Instead of a boxed set, what about a slipcase version of the APs? Would that be any cheaper?

Also, any plans to do a "basic set" of the PF game - maybe just a 1st-3rd level set like the old Moldavay sets?

And, just for the heck of it, perhaps a player kit? Comes with a pamphlet detailing one class, short versions of all the races, most-likely-to-be-used feats and class spell list. Maybe with a "how to be effective in this class" primer; something about 16-32 pages total. Shrink-wrapped with dice, character sheet(s), a character folder/screen and maybe a figurine.

dm4hire

Explorer
I'd really like to see some mini campaigns designed around Pathfinder. Maybe Paizo could have a contest to design them. I'm thinking along the lines of what TSR did with their one mini campaign called Jakandor although not spread over multiple box sets.

Drkfathr1

First Post
If they were able to do a boxed set that consisted of an entire adventure path with maps, hand outs, etc, my max would be $100. Not really willing to pay more than that. I wouldn't mind re-printed art, black and white, and lower quality paper, especially on the main booklets. However, the maps and handouts would have to be top notch.

On top of that, it would have to have a theme that I'd want to run, so if it was something that didn't appeal to me...

I can certainly see where the risk vs. the reward may be far too high.

Perram

Explorer
While I know Box Sets really aren't an option,

I would like to see compilations done for the APs, like a hard cover compilation of RotRL. Maybe even have them PoD?

Remove ads