• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What, if any, is the most fun level range in 5e? Has my XP mistake cheated players out of particularly fun levels?

What is the most fun level range (combat thrill, power level fun, whatever)?

• 18-20 - Masters of the World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beyond 20 - ???

• Beyond 30 - Gods?

• I hate them all equally

Coroc

Hero
1-3 are the most easyest Levels to DM that is fact, and for me at least the more easy i can DM the more tricks i can pull on the players and the more fun i have myself.

kagayaku

First Post
It's interesting to see how much opinions vary, and particularly how different it is for DM's and players. Maybe the reason that the later levels are less popular is that the DM's get fed up of their player's shenanigans by then and get progressively more evil. ;)

It's interesting to see how much opinions vary, and particularly how different it is for DM's and players. Maybe the reason that the later levels are less popular is that the DM's get fed up of their player's shenanigans by then and get progressively more evil. ;)

As player characters level up, game management becomes more complex. At first this can be fun because the DM can present more varied encounters. But eventually it becomes onerous -- balancing encounters becomes very hard and a real crapshoot at times. PC's have multiple attacks and so many abilities combat can slow down to a crawl. The DM can no longer anticipate when or how a PC may be able to break the plot. Opinions vary as to when the tipping point is reached, but general consensus is that the problems become acute sometime after 10th level. It does not surprise me that Tier 4 (Levels 16-20) is among the least popular answers in your poll.

Last edited:

kagayaku

First Post
As player characters level up, game management becomes more complex. At first this can be fun because the DM can present more varied encounters. But eventually it becomes onerous -- balancing encounters becomes very hard and a real crapshoot at times. PC's have multiple attacks and so many abilities combat can slow down to a crawl. The DM can no longer anticipate when or how a PC may be able to break the plot. Opinions vary as to when the tipping point is reached, but general consensus is that the problems become acute sometime after 10th level. It does not surprise me that Tier 4 (Levels 16-20) is among the least popular answers in your poll.

Sounds like I've got fun times ahead ;D My only experience of later levels so far is watching Critical Role, but Matt Mercer seemed to handle that balance pretty well for the large part. Even if he does occasionally seem very frustrated at his inability to kill anyone. :heh: I think the threat level in Critical Role is usually fairly low anyway though... Maybe another interesting thread would be one that covers how to maintain balance at later levels, but for now I'll just think about that when I get there. ;D

Remove ads