D&D 5E What if the D&D Core outsells the revised D&D Core?

Zardnaar

Legend
I have to double check the source, and I haven't read through the whole thread...

1e books were kept in print for a while after 2e launched. they were just too lucrative to stop.

Its the even edition curse, and yes its starting to happen. 1/6/5.5 won't exactly tank, but boy could it underperform. Eventually heads would roll, changes would be made, the IP could be sold.

WotC does have time for a course correction. But if things go this way through 2024, it will be interesting.

It's like the Stat Trek thing but in reverse?

darjr

I crit!
What would you do if you were WotC?

What do you think WotC would do?

It just struck me, what if WotC revises the core books but the originals continue to sell like they do now? What happens if they outperform the new core books? What happens if they out preform them a lot?
I think this question is more relevant now than when I first posted it.

Scribe

Legend
I think this question is more relevant now than when I first posted it.

I'm not sure it will be, to the masses.

The masses of players are not connected, not hyper over exposed to the content online, as we are.

To them, it will just be a cool new book(s) for the only RPG they know/play.

Its pretty weird though.

To some, 1D&D is doing nothing, so why bother as some are already over 5e.
To some, 1D&D is doing nothing, so its great, because 5e is great.
To some, 1D&D is doing too much, and its ruining 5e.
To some, 1D&D is doing so much, and its fixing 5e.

I cannot wrap my head around 2 or 3 of those positions, but I believe in D&D having a critical mass, and just like every edition of 40K, it will be replaced, and people will buy the new books.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Still basically the same as before. WotC will stop publishing the 2014 core books. WotC will start publishing the 2024 core books.

The number of 2014 core books will be that set number, never to increase. As people grow tired of 5E or switch to 5.5E, they might sell their 2014 books to the secondary market. People that continue playing 5E will likely hang onto their books, so those copies will not go into the secondary market unless someone dies and their family sells them or gives them away. The prices of the 2014 books will rise a bit as copies are worn and used and the price for new or like new will increase even more as there will be fewer and fewer of those. But there will never be any more new 2014 books printed by WotC. They have no way of accurately tracking the numbers of secondary market sales.

Meanwhile, WotC will pump out a few million copies of the 2024 core books. Same as every other edition change. Momentum and being the market leader will carry them through.

So it's literally not a thing that can happen.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I do not see the point in trying to speculate what WotC would do, since I am not WotC. I will be playing happily with whatever books I feel like playing with, so why would I possibly want to make myself "upset" by putting myself in the mindset of this other company having to deal with poor sales of a book I published?

Why would I do that to myself? Especially when it serves no purpose? Are people just looking for ways to get themselves worked up?

Mirtek

Hero
It's not going to die when we are at peak fantasy tv and movies though.
But are we or are we already past the peak with too many of those and them thus starting to fail meeting their corporate expectations?

I just managed to finally catch up with the MCU (well one last episode of She Hulk plus the new Ant Man) and have yet to watch a single episode of Rings of Power, Willow, Blood & Bone, Wheel of Time and I believe there is one more that I can't even remember.

I heard at least one or two of them failed to get as many viewers as hoped and are already even cancelled or uncertain of whether they'll get a new season (will check before starting to watch any of them)

Maybe it's just me, but I am definately oversaturated in regard to fantasy shows

PS: The missing one is not Witcher. I started and ended it mid season 1. I just did not like it. Mostly the incoherent time lines drove me away.

Last edited:

Remove ads