D&D 5E What interupts a long rest?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Also, technically, those 59 minutes of adventuring have to be nothing but strenuous activity, because if you slow down to light activity for even one minute - whether it's standing around debating how to deal with a trap, or taking some time divvying out the loot you just found - then DING! you've finished your long rest.

I'm imagining this group of adventurers all jogging on the spot while the rogue fiddles with a locked door, because they're all desperately afraid of accidentally finishing a rest.
Sure, I guess? Frankly, I’m just not going to be that much of a stickler for individual minutes spent standing versus walking or how vigorously one needs to be engaged in an activity to count as “adventuring” vs. “light”. Even if I rule as permissively as possible and just let the players get away with this exploit, it’s all much ado about nothing. Great job you got to have like three risk-free encounters. You’re very smart, have a cookie and let’s move on with the adventure.

Rune

Once A Fool
It doesn't have to.

I need six hours of sleep. Four hours in, my sleep is interrupted for twenty minutes by a random encounter, hauling the dead wolves out of the campsite, cleaning my sword and bedding back down. I still need two more hours of sleep.
I think the operative points are:
• The long rest must be at least 8 hours.
• The sleep within that long rest must be at least 6 hours.
• The light activity can be no more than 2 hours.
• Any adventuring activity that does not interrupt the rest and require a restart will be less than 1 hour.

There is no scenario in which less than 1 hour of non-interrupting adventuring activity would require the long rest to take more than 8 hours. It might interrupt the 6 hours of sleep, which might either cut into the no more than 2 hours of light activity, or the PCs may choose to extend the long rest. But that’s up to them.

Also of interest: The PCs could, of course, do more than 2 hours of light activity, but the excess won’t be part of the long rest. If this occurs in the middle of the rest (rather than the beginning or the end), this might mean that it has to count as time spent engaged in adventuring activity.

Unless you interpret walking as the only adventuring activity that might not interrupt, in which case, I suppose any light activity in excess of 2 hours that occurs in the middle of the long rest forces a restart?

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I think the operative points are:
• The long rest must be at least 8 hours.
• The sleep within that long rest must be at least 6 hours.
• The light activity can be no more than 2 hours.
• Any adventuring activity that does not interrupt the rest and require a restart will be less than 1 hour.

There is no scenario in which less than 1 hour of non-interrupting adventuring activity would require the long rest to take more than 8 hours.
I can think of one: If you've already taken your two hours of light activity before you started sleeping. If the party is setting watches, this may well be the case for the characters who are on first watch.

Rune

Once A Fool
I can think of one: If you've already taken your two hours of light activity before you started sleeping. If the party is setting watches, this may well be the case for the characters who are on first watch.
Fair point.

clearstream

(He, Him)
It improves thing for me because it aligns it with the spirit of the rule as i understand it. I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken about the fact that it improves my game :)
Of course!

From a purely mechanical perspective, the rule revised so that light activity can include travel has rather hairy implications.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The resting rules in the PHB don't say to extend the rest in so many words, but it's at least as reasonable to read the requirements (at least 8 hours total, at least 6 hours sleeping, any activity "light") to mean that time lost to other activity must be added, as it is to interpret the wording that any fighting at all will interrupt a long rest to the point it must be restarted.
The long rest only has the potential to be extended if the light activity was 1 hour or more. If light activity was an hour or less, then any amount of adventuring activity that is less than 1 hour(an hour resets things) still allows for 6 hours of sleep.

The problem comes if someone studies for 1 hour and 45 minutes, goes to sleep, is awakened for an 8 round fight, has to walk 45 minutes to find another safe place to sleep, and then tries to sleep again. That person better hope that they have a good alarm clock or the guy on watch has a very accurate timepiece, because he's going to need to sleep 30 minutes and 40 seconds longer in order to hit 6 hours of rest. If he wakes up 30 minutes and 20 seconds later, he gets no benefit.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Ooh, interesting. The top two results I get when I search Long Rest in D&D Beyond have different wordings.
Heh. I like the Rick quote on that page, too:
Rick Sanchez said:
Let ’em rest once in a while, but make sure they know that any time they take a long rest, the creatures in the dungeon are also taking a long rest!

Every long rest gives the monsters they’re gonna face more hit points and bonuses!

That’ll teach ’em.

And remind them how weak they are for resting at all.
Well, if your party is using 2 hour watches, then no amount of fighting etc can occur (that involves the whole party) without extending the rest (because the watchers all also need 6 hour sleeps). So there is a common case in which what you prefer can emerge from play. Just so long as they are not all elves... or watch-elves, as they ought to rightly be known.
I don't think it's an accident that the expected 4-character party can take an 8 hour Long Rest with each member taking a 2-hour turn standing watch. It fits very well.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This whole debate over what marks the line for interruption of a short rest is the meaningless d&d equivalent of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin". The exact line is when a hypothtical GM has effectively trolled their players across the table enough to make them say "fiiiine I give up". There are reasons in the rules for that "fiiiiine" line & they have nothing to do with anyone in this thread.
  • The exploration thread is currently a 92 page slog of reasons why issues that could impact the rest such as exposure to elements, limited ability to carry food & water, limited capacity to gather suitable amount & types of food and water, the need for a good camp spot, & so on are all a complete nonissue intentionally by design unless the GM starts making rules changes for specific situations. As a result of all the rules & mechanics choices that cause that thread to be 92 pages there is no "hey guys, this is going to b a problem we need to bite the bullet to solve instead"
  • There is no chance of a fail state for taking a long rest. At worst the players can enter a state of not making meaningful progress forward or backward on the reasons they took the rest to begin with.(ie recover hp/spell slot/etc).
    • If a failed long rest lasts at least 1 hour there is a short rest where short rest abilities & short rest classes recover(usually fully). Even if the party gets in a fight & needs to spend some resources it's probably going to be less than or equal to the short rest recovery amount unless the party is somethin like a bizarre mix of nothing but wizards & artificers.
    • Most layers don't really need to spend hit dice to recover HP on short rests so will probably have plenty to completely heal up to full or will already be full frim an earlier short rest when he long rest comes.
    • Most importantly is that gains from a rest(long rest especially) are explosive. instead of getting 1-2hp or 2-4 hp(with feat) per character level for a full day of rest players get all HP for a 6-8 hour nap It 's very easy to encounter a state where 1-2 or 2-4hp/character level amounts to less than the damage taken from a fight forcing some of the spell slots just recovered to be consumed & it was even possible to recover zero HP from the rest because "Any significant interruption during your rest prevents you from healing that night." making it easy to result in the attempt being a complete loss where players are worse than they started. When a long rest recovers all hp & all spell slots/class resources however there is never going to be a case where anything shy of a TPK or "fiiiiiine" triggers that sort of downward spiral making it a risk not worth considering.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The sentence doesn't define what is or isn't an interruption. It only defines what is enough of an interruption to require you to start over from scratch.

The rules say that a long rest consists of a period of eight hours during which you do nothing other than sleeping or light activity. It would therefore be reasonable to conclude that any time spent doing other things (let's just say taking a half-hour walk, to avoid the original controversy of the topic) does not count towards those eight hours.

Whether you define that half-hour stroll as an interruption, or a diversion, or any other word you want to use for it, it wasn't a period during which you were either sleeping or performing light activities such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch. Therefore it doesn't count towards your long rest, and you'll need to spend another half-hour doing something that actually does count towards your long rest.
We have two requirements as written. There has to be at least 8 hours of downtime, 6 of which has to be sleeping. 30 minutes of walking doesn't reset the rest, so the "downtime" is continuing while that happens. There is no mention of adventuring activities causing a delay. So long as the light activity was not more than 1.5 hours, you can still get your 6 hours of sleep in without having to extend past 8 hours. You'd only have to extend the rest of the total of light activity + adventuring activity is greater than 2 hours, while not exceeding 2 hours of light activity and 1 hour of adventuring activity.

With 2 hours of light activity and 59 minutes and 59 seconds of adventuring activity, your long rest would have to be at least 8 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds. 1 second longer of light rest or adventuring activity would reset the clock.

Remove ads