What is a Jaded Player?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Tatsukun said:
[Nitpicker's corner]
"The Buddha" is not actually a god in the western sense. The character is human, but ascended to heaven. It'd be a better parallel to say the Buddha is like a prophet, rather than a god."

[/Nitpicker's corner]

What about a jaded DM? Surely people here have played with one / been one!

A DM who describes important NPC's as "He's a dwarf, he looks like a dwarf, why are you asking about his clothes!?"

-Tatsu

That can be another subject, in another thread for another day. But the question is pertaining to the player's side. Which I am mostly concern about, with this behavior, for the time being.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Talmun

First Post
wolf70 said:
I thought of another one: The jaded player spends a long period of time agonizing over character concept, choosing skills, feats, writing a backstory, etc. and after only one or two sessions he declares, "I am not interested in this character any more. I want to switch."

Both of my examples are drawn from the same player who, thankfully, is no longer at my table.

DM

Are you and I talking about the same person? ;)
(see my previous post)

This must be relatively common. A player is jaded and bored to the point where characters, even new ones, don't hold his interest, but for some reason he can't seem to just let the game go for a while and find something else to do.

Edit:
I have no idea how to 'fix' a jaded player...I'm not sure you can. The ones I've seen and dealt with have eventually drifted away, no matter what the DM or anyone else did. To be honest, anyone who becomes that disinterested in the hobby should probably move on, either temporarily or for good.

Last edited:

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Talmun said:
(see my previous post)

This must be relatively common. A player is jaded and bored to the point where characters, even new ones, don't hold his interest, but for some reason he can't seem to just let the game go for a while and find something else to do.

Edit:
I have no idea how to 'fix' a jaded player...I'm not sure you can. The ones I've seen and dealt with have eventually drifted away, no matter what the DM or anyone else did. To be honest, anyone who becomes that disinterested in the hobby should probably move on, either temporarily or for good.

Oops. I missed your post. Heh. Sounds like the same guy.

Also, he owns ALL of the splatbooks and cannot find anything up to his power level. A jaded player wants to beat every creature in any monster manual and knows what all of them are by description.

A jaded player does outrageous things "in-character" because the traditional means of expression at an rpg table no longer "excite" him. Such as, outrageous humor/silliness/sarcasm, calling other players' cell phones under the table to disrupt the game, derailing the game to see if the DM can keep up with him, rude outbursts, interplayer conflicts, etc.

I think the only way to fix the problem is to get him out of the game. He needs to take a break until the game interests him again.

My jaded player's antics were shocking and outrageous. I have a million stories. I kept him for a long time because he once was a good player and he helped me move (and would have helped me move bodies if I asked). He was just destroying the game for me and my players. He had one of my new players emulating him. <shudder> It was frightening!

DM

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Talmun said:
(see my previous post)

This must be relatively common. A player is jaded and bored to the point where characters, even new ones, don't hold his interest

I have a similar problem, but it's not because I'm jaded, more the opposite: I have so many character concepts flying around in my mind, and so many races/classes I want to try out, that I always catch myself thinking about switching characters. I actually did it once or twice, when the campgaign style allows it (the party being more or less open-minded about new faces and the characters not part of a grand destiny and so on).

Remove ads