D&D 5E What IS a level 1 Fighter?

When I say "Level 1 Fighter" what image first comes to mind?

• A farm hand picking up a sword to go slay goblins

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Someone who just started training with weapons

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 22 25.0%

neogod22

Explorer
Oh I totally agree that everyone should choose their subclass at level 1.

I guess you could hand wave it as you were practicing these spells and magical effect on your spare time all along and they just NOW start to work.
So the game assumes that what your character becomes is what you were training for. It says this in the multicasting section so that there isn't confusion on how a fighter all of a sudden can cast spells (because the player decided to take a level in wizard). I think the reason they put most subclasses at level 3 instead of 1 is for new players. It's less confusing if a new player says I want to play a fighter, and not have to worry about what kind of fighter they want to be. Once they get the hang of playing the basics, then it becomes, what kind of fighter do you want to be?

Yaarel

He Mage
I felt none of the survey options were precise.

• "Someone who just started training with weapons"

A L1 Fighter is more than someone who just "started training". They are already proficient with even ALL martial weapons. So, they have had quite a bit of training.

• "A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring"

In 5e, a L1 Fighter is less than a "veteran", because they have never even gone to a war yet.

The L1 Fighter is equivalent to someone in who just graduated high school, or is an advanced student in high school. Level 1 is the first year in college, or its equivalent. Level 5 is having finally graduated from college and becoming a skilled professional.

The Fighter might even be formally educated in a military academy.

I guess, this leaves this next one as the only plausible choice.

• "A farm hand picking up a sword to go slay goblins"

Assuming the farm hand has been trained to fight in the local town militia since about ten years old, then the farm hand might well be about 18 years old, and at ‘college level’ fighting. Swing a sword, win some fight sports, shoot an arrow well. Also learn how to wrestle. If Goblins attack, the town might draft the farm hand into the town militia, or even into a regional army. But the farm hand still has much to learn before becoming an even remotely effective warrior.

Oofta

Legend
The difference between level 1 and 3, is at 3 you choose your profession. Once can argue a Champion don't need any additional training, but every other subclass requires years of training. It wouldn't make sense that someone learning how to fight and cast spells forget that they know how to cast spells their 1st few adventures and then be like "oh yeah, I know magic missile, shield, a few cantrips, and I can bond my weapon and summon it to me from anywhere in the world."

I've always assumed that people that multi-class have been studying/practicing for their new class for quite some time. They've just recently had a breakthrough (or made a deal with the devil).

They don't do the new class partway simply because of game mechanics.

Undrave

Legend
So the game assumes that what your character becomes is what you were training for. It says this in the multicasting section so that there isn't confusion on how a fighter all of a sudden can cast spells (because the player decided to take a level in wizard). I think the reason they put most subclasses at level 3 instead of 1 is for new players. It's less confusing if a new player says I want to play a fighter, and not have to worry about what kind of fighter they want to be. Once they get the hang of playing the basics, then it becomes, what kind of fighter do you want to be?

They could have designed the classes with an easy to get choice at first level to orient your character build and only come into the more important features later. Like an Eldritch Knight getting the sword bond thing at level 1 but no spells until level 3. For exemple. But that boat has sail I guess...

In 5e, Level 1 characters are stupid fragile.

Characters who can be killed by cats cannot be called a "veteran". That is laughable.

A 5e cat has +0 to hit and inflicts 1 Slashing damage and has an AC of 12 with 2 hit points. Hardly something that can kill even a level 1 Wizard.

Though, personally, I'd treat basic soldiers as 4e style Minions so...

Yaarel

He Mage
They could have designed the classes with an easy to get choice at first level to orient your character build and only come into the more important features later. Like an Eldritch Knight getting the sword bond thing at level 1 but no spells until level 3. For exemple. But that boat has sail I guess...

Eldritch Knight is still salvageable. Creating an ‘Eldritch Knight Fighting Style’ of some kind, to gain a magical fighting style.

I created a Fighting Style called the Elven Chain Fighting Style. Swap out Heavy Armor Proficiency, and gain always on Mage Armor (that looks like Elven silky chain mail), plus a choice of cantrip.

Undrave

Legend
Eldritch Knight is still salvageable. Creating an ‘Eldritch Knight Fighting Style’ of some kind, to gain a magical fighting style.

I created a Fighting Style called the Elven Chain Fighting Style. Swap out Heavy Armor Proficiency, and gain always on Mage Armor (that looks like Elven silky chain mail), plus a choice of cantrip.

In my home-brew subclass I presented a while back I had the 'Kirin Soul Style' that let you concentrate (spend a bonus action) to make your weapon count as magical for a short while (a turn or two). If the weapon is already magical you gain a bonus to damage equal to your INT.

Yaarel

He Mage
A 5e cat has +0 to hit and inflicts 1 Slashing damage and has an AC of 12 with 2 hit points. Hardly something that can kill even a level 1 Wizard.

Though, personally, I'd treat basic soldiers as 4e style Minions so...

Suppose the ‘average’ L1 Fighter has Strength 10 or 13 at best. Or similarly the Constitution. Such a Fighter has about 6 hit points, maybe ... just maybe 8 hit points. A cat is a real threat. Three cats are likely a death match.

One sword hit is a death blow.

This is the opposite of a "veteran".

Remove ads