D&D General What *is* D&D? (mild movie spoilers)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Oh all of that is true.

My point is there wasnt and isn't a paradigm to turn Old School D&D's style into a successful movie. At least no one thought of one yet.

So it was doomed from the start

It is a testament to the strength of 5e that a good movie can be made that follows so closely to the game structure.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It is a testament to the strength of 5e that a good movie can be made that follows so closely to the game structure.
Because over the decades the people entering the game wanted the game to be more "cinematic".

It's why 5e blew up in popularity and why 5e has a better base for a movie. Fans coming into D&D in the 90s, 00s, 10,, and 20s wanted to play D&D like a movie.

It's why people who like the Old School or Original styles of D&D don't like or don't feel it it's D&D to them. It's half of where the backlash to 4e came from: it was made to look like an action movie or TV series.

Because over the decades the people entering the game wanted the game to be more "cinematic".

It's why 5e blew up in popularity and why 5e has a better base for a movie. Fans coming into D&D in the 90s, 00s, 10,, and 20s wanted to play D&D like a movie.

It's why people who like the Old School or Original styles of D&D don't like or don't feel it it's D&D to them. It's half of where the backlash to 4e came from: it was made to look like an action movie or TV series.
To be fair 4E was drastically more "cinematic" than 5E was, so the needle can move both ways, it seems.

JohnSnow

Hero
The rest of the backlash was about how they treated gnomes.

What? Was that just me?
Actually, that was hilarious.

As I recall, there was a surprising amount of backlash over getting rid of Darkvision, cosmology, 3’6” Halflings, and a lot of really dumb things.

There was some legit griping over the pace of rollout, and a lot more over the sameness of the classes. Having Encounter and Daily powers for martial classes was an…interesting choice.

Like many, I think if 4e had come out of the gate with the Essentials presentation, it would have done better.

To be fair, @DND_Reborn is 150% clear that is "to him", not "in general".

And that's fine.

The problem is when people start saying something is "not D&D" period.
There isn't really a difference. "In my opinion" is implicit in any forum post, so adding it, or words to that effect, does not change the meaning.

"Not D&D to me" means the same as "In my opinion, I don't think it's D&D", which means the same as "if you play D&D like it is in the movie, in my opinion you are not playing D&D at all". Which is why people take offence (even if none was intended).

It's possible to acknowledge the way someone else plays as D&D, even if it's not the kind of D&D you happen to like yourself.

Last edited:

Remove ads