• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Expected from an Oriental Game Setting?

It's worth noting that modern-day takes on the past in Asia coming from Asia, aren't very historically accurate either. I can think of a lot of movies that certainly aren't, just drawing on all those Chinese movies I've seen (same rules apply to Japanese and Korean movies too). Especially when you consider those movie were made for modern day audiences, and that many actors in those movies are either pop stars or a face that's on TV and magazines a lot in Asia.

Most of those movies set in certain historical periods, hardly concern half what many of you think is "important" or "accurate" for Asia, coming from Asians themselves.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
It's worth noting that modern-day takes on the past in Asia coming from Asia, aren't very historically accurate either. I can think of a lot of movies that certainly aren't, just drawing on all those Chinese movies I've seen (same rules apply to Japanese and Korean movies too). Especially when you consider those movie were made for modern day audiences, and that many actors in those movies are either pop stars or a face that's on TV and magazines a lot in Asia.

Most of those movies set in certain historical periods, hardly concern half what many of you think is "important" or "accurate" for Asia, coming from Asians themselves.

Yeah, but the west as In the Name of the King and Eragon.

Do you honestly feel there's any historical or cultural accuracy on a movie where right in the middle they have a montage, with a pop song sung by someone like Jacky Cheung?

Or how about the characters in so many "period" Asian movies, tend to act and think like modern Asians in so many ways...

Most Asian audiences aren't concerned with historical accuracy, they want to be entertained with pretty actors, choreographed fights and the like. Much like how the typical D&D player, will very likely play a game set in an Asian setting.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Do you honestly feel there's any historical or cultural accuracy on a movie where right in the middle they have a montage, with a pop song sung by someone like Jacky Cheung?
Don't recall that in Kurosawa's samurai films.

What kind of foolish movies have you and American mainlanders been watching?

Don't recall that in Kurosawa's samurai films.

What kind of foolish movies have you and American mainlanders been watching?
First of all I'm not American. And when was the last time you went into video store that sells movies from China or Hong Kong or Korea or even India for customers who happen to be Asians?

You've shown signs of obvious cluelessness towards the recent Asian film market.

Because Kurosawa, is in the past and made a very very small percentage of all Asian movies (and even small percentage of Japanese movies at that, and the majority of Japanese films aren't Samurai films).

And just because I like another famous Asian movie director, doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that all Asian films involve shooting countless numbers of nameless mooks in the face with automatic pistols either.

Ranger REG

Explorer
First of all I'm not American. And when was the last time you went into video store that sells movies from China or Hong Kong or Korea or even India for customers who happen to be Asians?

You've shown signs of obvious cluelessness towards the recent Asian film market.

Because Kurosawa, is in the past and made a very very small percentage of all Asian movies (and even small percentage of Japanese movies at that, and the majority of Japanese films aren't Samurai films).

And just because I like another famous Asian movie director, doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that all Asian films involve shooting countless numbers of nameless mooks in the face with automatic pistols either.
Are we talking about a modern-day oriental setting or a period one suitable for D&D genre?

Trust me, I've also seen some worse. Hollywood is not the only cinema industry that can dish out bad films. But there are few precious gems amid the muck in Asian cinema.

Mallus

Legend
Don't recall that in Kurosawa's samurai films
You mean like Yojimbo, which was inspired by Dashiell Hammett's noir stories and also deliberately apes American Westerns? Seems there's a bit of non-Eastern in that one...

Cross-cultural cross-pollination... ie stealing bits from other culture's traditions, mixing things up, and deliberately getting things wrong does wonders for art. I can't see why wouldn't work in D&D.

Last edited:

tsadkiel

Legend
Are we talking about a modern-day oriental setting or a period one suitable for D&D genre?

Trust me, I've also seen some worse. Hollywood is not the only cinema industry that can dish out bad films. But there are few precious gems amid the muck in Asian cinema.

What exactly are you arguing here? If it's that Kurosawa is awesome, I don't think you'll find anybody to disagree. Many other Asian films are also awesome, and often in not historically accurate ways.

Ranger REG

Explorer
What exactly are you arguing here? If it's that Kurosawa is awesome, I don't think you'll find anybody to disagree. Many other Asian films are also awesome, and often in not historically accurate ways.
Like Duel to the Death? Legend of the Devil? Abarenbo Shogun?

My argument is not on historical accuracy, just cultural integrity. I'm worried that the designers see samurai of Japan as representative of all "knights" in Asia, as you would with all "knights" of Europe.

Then again, I'm just a pissed-off fan of Kara-Tur who get defensive at criticisms that it's not an appropriate Oriental setting to market.

Remove ads