Blog (A5E) What is Level Up?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Level Up is the working title or codename for an upcoming standalone tabletop roleplaying game. This game is conceptualized as an ‘advanced’ version of 5th Edition which adds a little more depth to the rules you already know and love. It will be fully backwards-compatible.

Level Up will be coming to Kickstarter in 2021, by the team who brought you the popular EN5ider Magazine and Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters.

We will be recruiting an elite group of diverse 5E designers very soon. Stay tuned!

Continue reading...

R_J_K75

Legend
I haven't seen this question asked or answered yet, not to say it hasn't. Any idea what format this will take, as in will it be a single hardcover or a 3 book core set (PHB, DMG, & MM)? As this is being Kickstarted I'm assuming that the price and page count will be determined by stretch goals, add-ons, etc.?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I haven't seen this question asked or answered yet, not to say it hasn't. Any idea what format this will take, as in will it be a single hardcover or a 3 book core set (PHB, DMG, & MM)? As this is being Kickstarted I'm assuming that the price and page count will be determined by stretch goals, add-ons, etc.?
The current plan is a single hardcover, but that might change.

And no, we don't ever run Kickstarters like that. We've for years now resisted the urge to delay delivery by adding stretch goals. When the KS launches next year, you'll know exactly what you're getting. All of our Kickstarters get fulfilled very quickly.

R_J_K75

Legend
The current plan is a single hardcover, but that might change.

And no, we don't ever run Kickstarters like that. We've for years now resisted the urge to delay delivery by adding stretch goals. When the KS launches next year, you'll know exactly what you're getting. All of our Kickstarters get fulfilled very quickly.

Thanks for the clarification. Im going to keep my eye on the surveys and news letter and see how this develops, at this point I'm intrigued to see what content is included in the end of design.

R_J_K75

Legend
I am cautiously excited about this. Took the survey and signed up for updates, so looking forward to see what develops!

I took survey 1 and there were a few 0's and a few 10's but for the most part I was pretty neutral with 5's down the line. I run a pretty rules light game, but Im open to add more if the right rules were added and players want to use them.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I took survey 1 and there were a few 0's and a few 10's but for the most part I was pretty neutral with 5's down the line. I run a pretty rules light game, but Im open to add more if the right rules were added and players want to use them.
Heh, 'I hit one 0, but several 10s.

R_J_K75

Legend
Heh, 'I hit one 0, but several 10s.

Im probably in minority of things Id like to see in Level Up and with it being so early in the process I lie on mostly, 0 = I dont care or dont want them, 5 = Im indifferent and 10 = Yes I definitely want that in the game. So until things start getting more narrowed down in regards to the categories that are going to be in the book thats probably going to be my approach to the surveys. If I have any hope of seeing anything I want in the book I have to participate in the process.

Dausuul

Legend
It seems like a lot of these questions assume a specific solution to a given problem. In many cases I agree that the problem needs solving, but do not like the solution presented.

For instance: "I would like social combat to be mechanically represented in the core rules." I would absolutely like to see a better developed system for social interactions. But as soon as you frame that system as "social combat," you get a hard zero from me. Combat, which is defined by opposition and zero-sum outcomes, is a terrible, terrible framework to use for social interaction.

Last edited:

Remove ads