D&D 5E What is Quality?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Figured out who I was referring to in the above post - Kate Welch.

Here's a thread on it. Not 100% explicitly stated but she said one of her big priorities was to enhance the new user experience (because in her words "it's piss poor") and after being put into a position where she could/should be able to do that? she quits. Sad really!

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
People saying something is poorly designed because they don't personally care for it is one of the issues I have. I get it if you don't like the direction they took with the stealth rules as an example. But it was a conscious design choice that works for me and nothing I've actually heard any complaints about at any table I've sat at. One person's rulings over rules being an abdication of game design to the DM can be another person's flexibility to adjust the tone and style of their game to fit their group.
And here I will step in and say that if your ruleset isn't clear on how the rule is expected to be used in a common circumstance (stealth in combat) that is a tick against it's "quality" score. If your rules continue development for years and you still do not clarify (despite knowing it's an issue of contention in the community) that is a second tick against "quality".

Adding a workaround patch (aim) that sort of sidesteps the issue is not directly addressing the issue itself.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
my endo doctor. the body breaks down natural sugar better than it deals with the fake sweetener in the diet soda.
My diabetic dad would have been unconscious before finishing a sugar soda, so perhaps it's case by case. We kept a can of Pepsi in the fridge to bring him out of a low blood sugar stupor because it acted as fast as the special glucose packet made for the same reason.

My diabetic dad would have been unconscious before finishing a sugar soda, so perhaps it's case by case.
well I am non insalin dependent type 2. I found out about 8ish years ago and switched to diet soda... within a few months I had my current doctor and he told me to switch to water or juices (and I mostly did I have had less soda this year than most game nights 15 years ago) and over time he explained that the stuff in diet soda well not going to send me into a suger shock it WOULD have other draw backs (I think you can search stuff from mayo clinic on what I don't remember) but then a few years ago (post stopping most soda but pre covid) a friend had those mexico bottles and I said no thanks and told my doctor... he told me (as with everything) to keep it in moderation but one of those 12 oz bottles of real suger coke would be better for me than a 8oz can of american made diet coke.
We kept a can of Pepsi in the fridge to bring him out of a low blood sugar stupor because it acted as fast as the special glucose packet made for the same reason.
we kept OJ on hand for my grandmother for the same idea (liquid abosorbs fast)

but if having any suger in liquid form is going to set him off he is better sticking to water. It sounds like he is a vary diffrent case than I who have kept my A1C to 7.2 or less for 2 years now.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
well I am non insalin dependent type 2. I found out about 8ish years ago and switched to diet soda... within a few months I had my current doctor and he told me to switch to water or juices (and I mostly did I have had less soda this year than most game nights 15 years ago) and over time he explained that the stuff in diet soda well not going to send me into a suger shock it WOULD have other draw backs (I think you can search stuff from mayo clinic on what I don't remember) but then a few years ago (post stopping most soda but pre covid) a friend had those mexico bottles and I said no thanks and told my doctor... he told me (as with everything) to keep it in moderation but one of those 12 oz bottles of real suger coke would be better for me than a 8oz can of american made diet coke.

we kept OJ on hand for my grandmother for the same idea (liquid abosorbs fast)

but if having any suger in liquid form is going to set him off he is better sticking to water. It sounds like he is a vary diffrent case than I who have kept my A1C to 7.2 or less for 2 years now.
He was Type 1, so the issue was physical activity affecting the "normal" amount of insulin he needed to inject. When he was outside working manual labor heavier than he normally would his body would use up extra energy and throw off the timing of his blood sugar spikes versus his insulin injection. It would sometimes lead to a bad crash.

But to bring this back to the topic at hand....my dad had a very poor quality immune system. I judge it so because it destroyed his insulin producing cells in his pancreas.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads