What is the (2nd?) best portable battlemat?

Obscure

First Post
I think most people who have heard of or seen Tact-Tiles would agree they make for the best portable battlemat around, but as I'm having a difficult time of fulfilling my Tact-Tiles craving, I was wondering about other options out there.

What do you think is the second best (or best if you disagree with my Tact-Tiles assessment) portable battlemat? Note that portability (i.e., capable of compactifying to a small* size, not too heavy) is important to me. Thanks!

*Not more than, say, 2 feet by 1 foot by a few inches.

Flip mats are prety good, they fold up to the size of one piece of paper and out to the size of 3*2 pieces there was a thread around here somewhere about them a while back

wedgeski

Adventurer
You can pick up small dry-wipe whiteboards (in fact whiteboards of all sizes) with one inch grids all over the place. Ours is 2x1.5 feet and about 3/4 inch deep. It's the perfect compromise between portability (fits in the boot of my car and onto our gaming table with plenty of space round the edge for character sheets, dice rolling, etc.) and scale (rarely will a combat move 'off grid', but if it does, just erase and redraw if you need to, or spill over onto the table :) ). Not the best solution for groups which want to use it as a map, not just a battle-mat.

fafhrd

First Post
Troubles_Third_Son said:
Flip mats are prety good, they fold up to the size of one piece of paper and out to the size of 3*2 pieces there was a thread around here somewhere about them a while back

I think this is what you're talking about. Seems like a nice compromise.

Obscure

First Post
Troubles_Third_Son said:

Ah, Flip-mats -- I forgot about those. I saw that thread, too. That could be an ideal short-term solution, perhaps even a long-term one.

Does anyone know where to get one in Canada, on- or offline?

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
My group is using 4 24"x36" lexan sheets with a 1" grid cut into it.
It was made locally by some gamers and a CNC machine.

Lexan, as it the stuff that is used in bullet proof glass.
You can take a hammer to our sheets and it doesn't chip.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
You can also simply get a DnD Minis starter and laminate the skirmish map. Thats what I ended up doing. Actually there's one in the back of the DMG too, isn't there?

Remove ads