D&D 5E What is the best official campaign to start off with for first-time D&D players?

Leucis Deceit

Villager
I have quite a few books and have some people who are interested so what should I run for them? I am thinking Dragon of Icespire Peak but I have some ideas for other campaigns in mind. What do you guys think?

GreyLord

Legend
For 5e?

I think the most praised one has been LMoP which you find in the Starter Set, but DoIP is a decent enough one to start off with as well.

After you get through that you could go into Dungeon of the Mad Mage if you want a longer campaign or adventure.

Personally, I really like Tales from the Yawning Portal and go through the Sunless Citadel and the Forge of Fury (but, going further than that could be problematic as you start getting into more of a killer dungeon vibe rather than a fun campaign vibe at that point).

Iosue

Legend
I'd go with Icespire Peak. The hardest thing with new players is to impress upon them how much freedom they have. Without direction, they get analysis paralysis. With direction, they start thinking they have to find the "correct" way to proceed. I think the job board really gives newbie players a sense of direction, and yet a sense of choice. LMoP is not bad at all, I've run it many times. But the game expects you to somewhat railroad the new players through the first two levels before they have the choice to decide what they want to do in the world. Good for giving them a sense of direction. Not so good for getting them used to making choices.

Or the job board is a tired cliche, depending on how genre-savvy the players are. They may be new to D&D, but be familiar with CRPGs and MMOs. Really there is no correct answer, it depends on the background and age of your players. What would appeal to 12-year-old new players is likely very different to what a 40-year-old new player would like.

Remove ads