• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the essence of D&D

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I do not think something should get a free pass just because it involves a supernatural element. When I play my Barbarian I make decisions that my character does not make. I decide when the spirits act. They only protect my allies and not me. There is daily rationing on rage that is never explained. Why do I get my Constitution modifier to AC?

These things kind of bother me when I think about them. Then I remember how fun it is to play.

It's not just this stuff. It includes things like short and long rests, hit dice, Superiority Dice, Bardic Inspiration, Action Surge, Second Wind, Sorcery Points, and a number of other mechanics that provide no view into what is happening narratively.

I shut my brain off and enjoy the game, but this stuff is like there man and sometimes it like gets to me.

Nagol

Unimportant
1e DMG p. 39 - "Spells beyond those at start" - "... To those acquired, the magic-user will add 1 (and ONLY 1) spell when he or she actually gains an experience level. ..." - I knew this was in there somewhere. :)

As for the one-shot-only bit, that only applies to the initial by-level roll-through and not to spells found later on scrolls or in captured spellbooks etc.

So, if during the initial roll-through of 1st-level spells you blew Sleep (or had reached your minimum before even getting to spells starting with 'S') you couldn't learn it then - but if you found it on a scroll later and still had headroom below the max allowable you could copy it into your book and learn it, if the dice were willing.

It's not the clearest of explanations (not unusual for 1e!), but it's in the PH p. 10 under "Intelligence".

Nice catch! I shall have to find out why I'm not getting it! edit D'oh! It's in the house rules. "M-Us do not get spells as they level,. You need to find or create them normally."

We read "Acquisition of Heretofore Unknown Spells" means "spells that are added to the game that aren't on the standard spell list, but you found a copy anyway" (like Detect Secret Doors on my list). You can try to learn them even if you no longer get to roll on the standard table so long as you have head room.

Tony Vargas

Legend
As for the one-shot-only bit, that only applies to the initial by-level roll-through and not to spells found later on scrolls or in captured spellbooks etc.
It's not the clearest of explanations (not unusual for 1e!), but it's in the PH p. 10 under "Intelligence".
Once the player blows his chance, the player cannot learn that spell EVER unless it is required to fulfill the minimum number of spells (IOW, they can't learn it from a later scroll gaining a level).

PHB 10, see "Charm Person" example.
At least we don't see this sort of thing too much with the later eds. ;)

Remove ads