What is the essence of D&D

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Never heard this term - does this mean the sort of celebration where you all go down to the pub, drink enough beer that you all forget any wrongs anyone else there has done to you, and all leave as the best of friends?

If not, it should. :)
Works for me... everybody clear your blocked lists!!!!!

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I like AD&D wouldn't claim it's perfect and I like different xp for classes and OSR multiclassing
I still do not know what to really like for multiclassing 5es is a huge trap nice and pretty and organic (but easy to fail at) and while 4e worked once it got all its features in place it was complex I mean 4e multiclassing has huge numbers of components. From feats (even ones like ritualist or skill training or melee training) to explicitly labeled multiclass feats (which also opened paragon paths and other feats) to themes and finally hybrids (which are kind of like forcing people to keep two classes close to the same level by splitting experience but balanced by using a combined level for regulating max effectiveness of things a bit like getting half druid spells and half wizard spells but with the same level maxes as a single class)

Zardnaar

Legend
I still do not know what to really like for multiclassing 5es is a huge trap nice and pretty and organic (but easy to fail at) and while 4e worked once it got all its features in place it was complex I mean 4e multiclassing has huge numbers of components. From feats (even ones like ritualist or skill training or melee training) to explicitly labeled multiclass feats (which also opened paragon paths and other feats) to themes and finally hybrids (which are kind of like forcing people to keep two classes close to the same level by splitting experience but balanced by using a combined level for regulating max effectiveness of things a bit like getting half druid spells and half wizard spells but with the same level maxes as a single class)

No edition has really got mcing right. Maybe a clone like C&C?

Zardnaar

Legend
I have no idea... the Cleric was arguably the first multiclass/hybrid and look at all the effort to try and get it right over the years.
Yep I'm not convinced any follow up effort on clerics has been any better than 1E or 2E priests.

BECMI got it wrong along with 3E,and 4E IMHO.

It's a class idk where the solution is.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yep I'm not convinced any follow up effort on clerics has been any better than 1E or 2E priests.

BECMI got it wrong along with 3E,and 4E IMHO.
I think the first time a cleric seemed interesting was in 2e when they made priests of specific gods. 3e made the cleric a major component of CoDZilla over powered to attract someone to heal. I think 4e Clerics work fine ie not being crazy broken like in 3e ought to count for something ;) I still find in general the more connection to the nature of your god stylistically better.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the first time a cleric seemed interesting was in 2e when they made priests of specific gods. 3e made the cleric a major component of CoDZilla over powered to attract someone to heal. I think 4e Clerics work fine ie not being crazy broken like in 3e ought to count for something ;) I still find in general the more connection to the nature of your god stylistically better.

Yeah I think my favorite is the 2E priest. Some were op some sucked most were interesting.

I used to put an effort into designing priests now I'm pick a domain unless that domain is really weird for the campaign.

Hussar

Legend
Having just finished up playing 11 levels of a Forge Priest, I have to say, I'm not in love with the cleric class in 5e. It's a class with too many contradictions - it's got good AC, and good HP, but, all the cantrips are for standing back and pew pewing. It seems to me like a class that doesn't know what it wants to be.

Remove ads