What is the essence of D&D

Tony Vargas

Legend
To say that in a particular edition magic "doesn't feel magical" is, one the one hand, very accurate for the individual making the observation, but, on the other, not terribly useful as a comparative or analytical tool because it's oh so very subjective.
Nod. Which is why it's more helpful to look at the actual qualities of what they're talking about.

Magic doesn't 'feel magical' in one edition, but does in all others. OK. What's different about that edition? It's a question that can be answered objectively, because they're all in print, and you can compared & contrast.

But, yeah, deep-diving into what people say, and what they mean, subjectively? Quite an undertaking.
Then again, WotC already undertook it, and 5e restored the Primacy of Magic.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
To say that in a particular edition magic "doesn't feel magical" is, one the one hand, very accurate for the individual making the observation, but, on the other, not terribly useful as a comparative or analytical tool because it's oh so very subjective. I suspect that if we drilled down we would find a range of commonalities between what various people mean when they say that, but even then I think there would be some pretty significant differences between even those more granular objections.
4e was considered too magical... the fighters were all spell casters haven't you heard they just didnt get the cool pointy hats with stars on them. They got big climactic exploits... oh wait powers... oh wait I mean spells yeh that's the ticket

Imaro

Legend
4e was considered too magical... the fighters were all spell casters haven't you heard they just didnt get the cool pointy hats with stars on them. They got big climactic exploits... oh wait powers... oh wait I mean spells yeh that's the ticket

Just like Exalted's charms... right?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Don't you play 5e? If so how are you not in the tent? And if you aren't speaking for yourself what group was left out of it?
I ran 5e a lot more than played it, and wasn't in good enough health to do much of anything hobby-wise for about a year. Now I'm back to gaming, but not 5e, specifically, atm.

Make of that what you will.

inclusivity based on the characteristics of the people playing it (games that are welcome to all genders, races, colors, creeds, sexual orientations, ages, etc.).
I find your co-mingling of these two concepts ... distasteful and offensive.
You brought it up:
Given the great lengths that 5e, especially, has gone to be more inclusive and tolerant in terms of promoting gaming for once-marginalized communities,
Frankly, I did not appreciate the "once-marginalized" phrasing. It's dismissive of ongoing struggle.

And that is all /really/ far afield from the 'Essence' of a /game/.

Imaro

Legend
I ran 5e a lot more than played it, and wasn't in good enough health to do much of anything hobby-wise for about a year. Now I'm back to gaming, but not 5e, specifically, atm.

So you found the game acceptable enough to run multiple times and even play (though not as often)... I'd assume that means you were in the tent, so I'll ask again who are you claiming was marginalized?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
like this perhaps
HolyRomanPointedHelmets-ViennaC.jpg

Remove ads