What is the essence of D&D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That rarity wasnt because people really wanted to play a celibate bible banger
Correct. The rarity was because people panicked and incorrectly believed that they always needed a dedicated healer and/or lacked faith in the DM to know that there wasn't the maximum amount of healing when he designed encounters.

And people also didn't really want to play a mundane and humdrum game. The player of the fighter wasn't thrilled about his +3 plate and ring of regeneration because of the primacy of magic. He was thrilled because magic is just plain cool.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Oh god yes.

spoilers spoiler spoilers

And I found mine inside the T-Rex (I think that was the dinosaur) in the original isle of Dread. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Everyone cheered for several minutes and the game came to a stop for a while. That’s why I prefer the finding of magic items over the just craft it or buy it type of games.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Personally I always felt by level 22 there is genre bending implied by the adversaries you meet this is where I bring up the nonsense of a normal man killing a house sized brilliant monster armored like a tank with his itty bitty sword .... and utterly human levels of ability (I can find people on youtube making the same attack rate with a bow as the highest level fighter... it isnt even vaguely heroic let alone... super heroic.)

Zardnaar

Legend
spoilers spoiler spoilers

And I found mine inside the T-Rex (I think that was the dinosaur) in the original isle of Dread. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Everyone cheered for several minutes and the game came to a stop for a while. That’s why I prefer the finding of magic items over the just craft it or buy it type of games.

That's D&D right there.

It's something I noticed playing 2E with modern players.

They found finding magic items more fun.
Might also be power level as well since 3E+ gated magic items behind levels. Finding a holy avenger level 6 to 8 wouldn't be unheard of.

In modern D&D a lot if the high end stuff you don't get to use. In AD&D they do so there's that aspect as well.

Remove ads