What is the essence of D&D

Oofta

Legend
QUOTE="Hussar, post: 7815108, member: 22779"]
Sorry, @lowkey13, but, what is that from? It does look very cool.
[/QUOTE]
What @lowkey13 forgot to mention is that Catra is a chaotic evil Tabaxi.

Or is it just redundant to say that cats are chaotic evil?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Wow, 7 straight posts directly addressing me and NOT ONE actually answering my question.
Or, better yet, using the 1e or 2e ruleset, what roll would I make to jump 60 feet with my thief? Or 5e for that matter?
Jumping? in 1e? Erm… er.. Stand up, go in the back yard, and show me how you jump? 2e... I guess there might have been an NWP that applied?

Ah, 3e, conveniently, the DC is the number of feet you want to jump: 60! Unless you do it without the 20' running start, then it's DC 120. Still, should be able to cheese that up, somehow, at some level, this /is/ 3e. There's no speed erm limit, so you can use jump to override your speed (encumbrance! ha!), though if your speed is low, you take a penalty.

4e, aside from being in squares, similar to 3e, except you need to have the move available to go the distance you jump, but you can use two moves in a row. There's some rogue utilities that help, starting at level 2, but not until the level 22 is there one likely to let you do it readily - eThieves don't get 'em, of course.

5e: no check! all you need is a STR of 60! And move of 60, because that bit works basically like 4e (though it's not clear you can use your move to Jump and Dash to continue the jump, if so, 30 does it)
Which, compared to the STR, should be easy.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In the context of playing the game what a character can do all day hardly matters. What matters is what you can do when it matters in the critical moments.
Depends. Are you looking to play the hare (flash and dash until it runs out of steam) or the tortoise (which just keeps on going all day)?

Because I happen to remember who won that race... :)

Hussar said:
Wow, 7 straight posts directly addressing me and NOT ONE actually answering my question.

And I get accused of bad faith?
You might want to give post numbers on these, as of the 5 posts immediately above the one quoted, four are either direct replies to me or in relation to something I said, and the other is - somewhat amazingly - a direct answer to the question in the title of the thread.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Jumping? in 1e? Erm… er.. Stand up, go in the back yard, and show me how you jump? 2e... I guess there might have been an NWP that applied?

Ah, 3e, conveniently, the DC is the number of feet you want to jump: 60! Unless you do it without the 20' running start, then it's DC 120. Still, should be able to cheese that up, somehow, at some level, this /is/ 3e. There's no speed erm limit, so you can use jump to override your speed (encumbrance! ha!), though if your speed is low, you take a penalty.

4e, aside from being in squares, similar to 3e, except you need to have the move available to go the distance you jump, but you can use two moves in a row. There's some rogue utilities that help, starting at level 2, but not until the level 22 is there one likely to let you do it readily - eThieves don't get 'em, of course.

5e: no check! all you need is a STR of 60! And move of 60, because that bit works basically like 4e (though it's not clear you can use your move to Jump and Dash to continue the jump, if so, 30 does it)
Which, compared to the STR, should be easy.

Doing so well until that last one. In 5e you can make an athletics check to "You try to jump an unusually long distance." What does that mean? I have no idea. If you can always jump your strength, but not farther without some sort of roll, is 1 foot unusually long? 10 feet? Double? 50% further? No clue.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The rogues double jump is high level if you choose it ( that 22 is perhaps a 5e ,16) but you can do your normal running jump without a run and possibly exceed your speed via skill power (and with a 1 square bonus via the power and possibly a good roll) early on even at level 2 -- its basically heroes who specialize can do a nice burst once per encounter and do the pretty extensive skill and attribute advancement in 4e even the baseline is not static you get better. Paragon is one square farther. Epic ends at 2 squares farther.

And as for primacy of magic ? In 4e add on a pair of magic boots and get 3 squares more once per encounter (instead of 1 from the low level skill power).

The 5e standing jump is more than a bit conservative aka mundane with nobody but the maximumly pumped barbarian reliably hitting olympic class standing jumps till level 20 and has been pointed out no clue what a skill check might do ... no shared expectations created.

Last edited:

Remove ads