D&D 5E What is the most played published adventure on your table?

Madnick

Explorer
I like pre published modules, especially because I find in them something that I can add to my homebrew games. So I tend to buy most of them and run them once or twice to get the hang of the mood, the difficulty etc.

The lost mine of Phandelver to this day is by far the most played module I have ever run. It is my go to for all new players, players that want to dip their toes in the ocean called dungeons and dragons. But also a starting adventure for many of my parties through the years no matter their expertise.

It is easy, it has a nice, simple and straight forward story, plenty of hooks to base entire campaigns after it is done and it has beautiful art, maps etc. The starting village and the npcs can be used with ease for many sessions after you have cleared the wave echo cave and the general foundation of the story is perfect for all kinds of future plot arcs.

What do you need?

- Red wizards of Thay asking favours and raising zombies? CHECK

- Camp filled with Orcs ready to raid and pillage? CHECK

- A green dragon claiming ruined villages and being worshiped by cultists? CHECK

- Mysterious treasure maps? CHECK

- Powerful banshee with the power to foresee the future or past? CHECK

- Magical forge to establish a trading house ( or at least the beginning of it!) CHECK

- A castle for your players? CHECK

- Goblins? Hobgobblins? Drow? Undead? Spectators? Flameskulls? Owlbears? did I mention a GREEN DRAGON? CHECK CHECK And CHECK AGAIN.

So this is the two part walkthrough for the game masters that have not run it yet. I strongly advice you to do so, and especially if you are new to the game and you have always wanted to convince your friends to start rolling dice, go with the Mines you cannot go wrong!

Part 1 of the review:
Part 2 of the review:
What is your go to adventure for your table? What is the one adventure you have run so many times that probably you cannot remember the original story too clear with all the bits and pieces you have added all those years to it?

Madnick

Explorer
The Keep of the Borderlands and the Lost City were among my favorite back in the day . They had the same feel LMoP has for me, good starting ground.

None.

I agree that LMOP is a great place to start. For new DMs, New Players or New Campaigns.

But, I almost never run the same things twice. There are too many things to run and I've got the disposable income to buy them. Back in the B1 and B2 days, well I didn't have the income then so we ran those and remixed them dozens of ways to run them again and again. Not that they were that good, but its what we had.

aco175

Legend
For 5e, LmoP is the place I started and are running my 3rd campaign out of it. The new campaign is using the Essentials box as well, so the adventure of the original is not used as much.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Several B/X and AD&D tournament adventures. I remove a lot of the crawl and keep only the central ideas. Sometimes I'll use just a level (or part of a level) that I plug into another adventure because I like the design of that part of the dungeon. I play with younger players. Chances of having played them is very low.

Usual Suspects:
  • B4 The Lost City
  • C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness
  • L1 The Secret of Bone Hill

The Dungeon magazine city adventure 'Fruit of the Vine' is used every time I GM for a new group. Probably 5 times. Using 2e, 3e, 4e, 5e and Fantasy AGE.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
None.

I agree that LMOP is a great place to start. For new DMs, New Players or New Campaigns.

But, I almost never run the same things twice. There are too many things to run and I've got the disposable income to buy them. Back in the B1 and B2 days, well I didn't have the income then so we ran those and remixed them dozens of ways to run them again and again. Not that they were that good, but its what we had.
Similar, variety is the spice of life.

B2 got a lot of use as it was the only adventure I had for some four-odd years (along with the Haunted Tower in the B/X basic book).

And I6 - Ravenloft. I don't miss a chance to run it, but no group I've had has ever been willing to go through it twice. I feel like that's a job done right, and not a faulty module.

Remove ads