D&D 5E What is the most powerful spell?

Yaarel

He Mage
The Setup spells for 2nd- and 3rd-level spells are up.

In 2nd-level, Rope Trick requires Setup because altho an action, it requires a full hour to benefit from its safe Short Rest, and is stationary. It is thinkable to cast it during a combat encounter to get one or more allies out of harms way, however, that is less likely, making this option Less Useful. All Setup spells are assumed to be moreorless Less Useful to cast on the fly, unless planning ahead of time around its disruptive requirement.

Silence is a bizarre case, where it is Less Useful to perform its ritual, and Good to cast its action when a hostile caster appears. Silence is listed twice accordingly.

In 3rd level, Plant Growth counts as a Setup spell, because the need to be in a field of plants is a ‘Significant Prerequisite’. A caster almost needs to organize the entire adventure around this spell to make it useful.

As Setup spell, Tiny Hut grants 8 hours of safety to complete a long rest. Only because it is a ritual, it can be cast without a spell slot, making its routine use each night Excellent. Even cast with a spell slot it has some use, to plan a powerful defensive base before a known encounter.

Call Lightning counts as a Setup spell because the need for open air or over 100 foot ceiling, is a Significant Prerequisite that requires the caster to organize around. Heh, I like the Urban Druid character concept and note which are the awkward spells.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
Now all spell levels 0 thru 6 list the Setup category.

For 4th and 5th, no real surprises.

Except, Secret Chest doesnt actually qualify as a Setup spell. Heh, its just a terrible spell. I never really understood the point of hiding a box in the ethereal plane. I mean, all the creatures who live in the ethereal plane are like, Yay! Free treasure!

I suppose the spell is supposed to be a poor mans Portable Hole. But as a 4th-level spell slot with an increasing chance of destroying any treasure that is in it, besides theft, that is an expensive waste of a 4th-level spell slot. Nothing poor about it.

gyor

Legend
9th lv.
Best = Wish
Worst = anything that's not Wish?

0-8th lv.
BEST= whatever best represents the character that'll be casting them.
WORST = whatever least fits a particular character.

This sums it up perfectly, only True Polymorph even comes close to Wish.

Yaarel

He Mage
1st level Lower Level.

Probably, Detect Evil and Good best merges as a feature of Protection from Evil and Good.

Similarly, Purify Food and Drink might best merge somehow with Detect Poison and Disease: to eliminate any unattended contaminants, regardless of whether it is food or not.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I consider burning hands or thunderwave some of the most useful level 1 spells at level 1. I guess that leaves me with the question of what level of wizard are you approaching these lists from?

FrogReaver

Level 2 spells:

I would rate pass without trace as excellent or at least very good. It basically makes everyone in your whole party just as stealthy as a rogue.

I'd rate enhance ability and shatter as good.

FrogReaver

Tongues is vastly more useful than comprehend languages IMO. It's a good spell even at level 3. Though it is situational as anything could possibly be. I may rather see it at as a level 2 spell but even then it's unique enough and it's effect strong enough I can't say it doesn't actually belong in level 3.

FrogReaver

Conjure woodland beings I would rate much lower. It's a solid summoning spell but I and many others play that you don't get to choose the creature you summon only the CR (unless I've missed something there's no way to guarantee pixies when playing that way?)

Remove ads