Level Up (A5E) What is the Savant

Hmm. The one weird thing I noticed is that disarming flourish is straight up more powerful than an actual disarm, despite the fact they don't even actually drop it. A disarmed weapon can be picked up with your free object interaction, not sure why regaining a firm grip would require more. Also it means if the target has disadvantage, them not failing both times is better for them than failing twice, which I doubt is the intent.

Edit: Presuming of course that those aren't the Level Up versions of the tricks and Level Up didn't change the way free object interactions work, in which case disregard.
Y'know, I hadn't considered that. I think because normal 5E has no disarm option in the player's handbook, I'd forgotten that picking up a weapon is just an object interaction.

This book will be coming out early next year, and is not finished layout yet. So, any suggestion for a variant mechanic?

Y'know, I hadn't considered that. I think because normal 5E has no disarm option in the player's handbook, I'd forgotten that picking up a weapon is just an object interaction.

This book will be coming out early next year, and is not finished layout yet. So, any suggestion for a variant mechanic?
Hmm. I mean the obvious option is to make picking up a dropped weapon not be an object interaction, but that's more of a core rule thing than a class feature thing, so not really appropriate for a new archetype in a splat book.

Perhaps hit their weapon in such a way it twists or wrenches and sprains/renders numb the hand holding it, preventing them from using it unless they take the attack/bonus action to like, massage or stretch it or something, and if they fail both on disadvantage do that and drop it, so they need to spend an attack/bonus action and an object interaction to make the hand usable and pick it up? Maybe also specifying that they cannot pick up the weapon with that hand until after they use that bonus action/attack to fix it.

Edit: Also there is always the fact that the disarmer can use their object interaction to pick up the weapon before they have a chance if they have a free had, or to kick it away or something. Just feels weird to have it be less severe than not dropping it if the disarmer doesn't do that, which the above might fix (just spitballing).

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
The tricks are a class feature distinct from maneuvers. You have to 'devise' each trick by spending a bonus action in advance, but theoretically you can do them over and over.
Well, some Adept features use exertion, right? And at least in the playtest, some Fighter features used it as well.

Remove ads