• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the single best fantasy novel of all time?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think Eddings's style has aged particularly well, and his personal history has cast a pall over his books. (See also: Marion Zimmer Bradley and Anne McCaffrey.)

Anyway, another vote for Lord of the Rings.
I still enjoy the occasional read of the Belgariad or The Elenium. He's no longer among the top authors for quality for me, though.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula le Guin.
A Wizard of Earthsea was the most influential to me personally - it was the book that got me into fantasy in the first place. Loaned to me at Knights Day Camp (yet I wasn't into fantasy - yet) by Dave, a fellow camper. Who ended up only there for part of the summer and left before I finished it. I met him again a few years later at Jr. High (8th year of schooling for those not in the states or used to the newer names) and was able to give it back to him.

I've reread that so many times.

gorice

Hero
A Wizard of Earthsea was the most influential to me personally - it was the book that got me into fantasy in the first place. Loaned to me at Knights Day Camp (yet I wasn't into fantasy - yet) by Dave, a fellow camper. Who ended up only there for part of the summer and left before I finished it. I met him again a few years later at Jr. High (8th year of schooling for those not in the states or used to the newer names) and was able to give it back to him.

I've reread that so many times.
You know, I reread the first four books recently, and I think it's really hard to choose a favourite. I have a soft spot for The Tombs of Atuan, and I really want to finish the second trilogy, because in some ways I think it's even better (but definitely more for an adult audience).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What this thread teaches me is that there are a LOT of really good fantasy books/series.
giphy.gif

Remove ads