• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the single best fantasy novel of all time?

JAMUMU

actually dracula
Yes, a better novel from a plot perspective than either The Scar or The Iron Council; but the world-building in especially the Scar was EPIC. I still want to have some sort of afanc in a high level game...
And based on a D&D game, no less. You can even tell when the party turns up! I think The Scar does more world-building, and the Iron Council is his most personal novel, but Perdido Street Station is so strange, so familiar, and so lyrical all at the same time.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
And based on a D&D game, no less. You can even tell when the party turns up! I think The Scar does more world-building, and the Iron Council is his most personal novel, but Perdido Street Station is so strange, so familiar, and so lyrical all at the same time.
At the risk of drifting the thread, every time I think of the oft-rumored but rarely substanstiated Bas Lag RPG, I breathe a heavy sigh...

Deep Breath Reaction GIF by Bounce

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I absolutely love the Old Forest passages! I find them incredibly evocative.

The one part of the novel(s) that always feels like a slog to me is Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli’s hunt across Rohan. I first read that in the middle of the night, repeatedly falling asleep and reading the same pages over and over. Nice to hear that perhaps Tolkien did that to me intentionally! 😞
I was scrolling to the end to post this almost exactly.

My answer is another vote for The Hobbit. If the professor had never written another word The Hobbit would still be the gold standard of Fantasy (non-sword and sorcery category) in my opinion of course.

Divine2021

Adventurer
Subject matter isn't the determiner of "rating" -- it is how it is presented. Sanderson suggests a horrifying existence of war, but presents it to his audience sanitized and inoffensively.
Yea, from my perspective this simply isn’t true having just finished the most recent book. You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, but his more subtle presentation perhaps eludes one who is looking for a more direct telling. He’s no Glen Cook, but he captures more than I think you give him credit for.

Divine2021

Adventurer
One collection I’ve really enjoy recently is Tanith Lee’s Cyrion. Published in 1982, I can’t find a decent quality paperback anywhere, but it is out there for e-readers.

Remove ads