What is the status of Cormyr in 5e?

dagger

Adventurer
Its pretty much the same as in the 3e FRCS just a different ruler.

Do what I do, run it as in the Grey Box, 2e box, or 3e FRCS book. The 4e crap never happened, so there is nothing to figure out.

SCAG also has a few lines on Cormyr.

But AFAIK, the Realms are today what they were in 3E.

Almost all changes from 4e were reversed (thank god), and when things couldn't just be reversed/retconned, they were placed in a way that seemed like "things going back to what they were"...

Anyway, I'd also like a bit more info than what we've seen in SCAG (yet to read SKT). But until then, just grab old stuff and go with it :)
Honestly, if they just were to do something like "SCAG II: The Rest of the Realms", that would be just fine. A nice overview with unreliable narrators to give us what the rest of the setting looks like in broad strokes. There isn't any need for down-to-the-city-block-level of detail (although I wouldn't object if they were to do that!), but just enough so we have general overall detail while allowing for DM creativity...

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Onslaught

Explorer
Honestly, if they just were to do something like "SCAG II: The Rest of the Realms", that would be just fine. A nice overview with unreliable narrators to give us what the rest of the setting looks like in broad strokes. There isn't any need for down-to-the-city-block-level of detail (although I wouldn't object if they were to do that!), but just enough so we have general overall detail while allowing for DM creativity...

Completely agree with you, Sir.

I do kind-of-miss the excessive detail of 3E FRCS, but the overview given in SCAG is great entry-point for interesting locations and NPCs without being overwhelming (like FRCS was, frankly... even the font size was smaller than other 3E books for god's sake).

"SCAG 2: A Guide to Everywhere not SwordCoast" would've been great... and could be a nice source of backgrounds and archetypes for eastern culutres (Rashamen, Thay, Halruaa, Calimshan and other stuff).

They could even review the shi**y Genasi from Princes *sigh*

But I digress...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Do what I do, run it as in the Grey Box, 2e box, or 3e FRCS book. The 4e crap never happened, so there is nothing to figure out.

Whereas I run it as mostly 4e with some adjustment as time has moved on and my PCs have impacted the world. And gods came back and some other stuff, and I do use bits of the current canon here and there.

Which is fine, but I'd be more inclined to care about the setting at all anymore if there was a full updated canon.
As it is, I haven't even bought SCAG, because I see no reason to actually invest in the setting at this point.

MiraMels

Explorer

The problem with this approach is that 4th edition covered about a hundred years or so, and the event that reverted everything back for 5th edition happened about maybe five to ten years prior to when the 5th edition AL modules and hardback campaigns are currently set. So, from the perspective of folk living in the Realms, the only people who can remember, first hand, what things were like in 3rd edition are, minimum, 150 years old or so.

I run a lot of current published material, and i wish i had more guidance from Wizards for what the transition was like, and how to portray folk who lived through it.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
You can always look over the forums at Candlekeep.com or there is an FR wiki online I reference for some things. But other than the SCAG book, and the DND Next adventure modules detailing the Sundering, not much new in FR. Like others have mentioned, kinda back to a status quo pre 4th, but with a different (mostly) cast of actors.

If you want to use 5e canon for Cormyr then [MENTION=17607]Pauper[/MENTION] is right: Fire in the Blood is the source.

Some spoilers ahead:

The Queen is young, unmarried, a war hero, needs heirs but might not mind if they are bastards. During the the war against Sembia and shade she redistributed wealth from nobles unwilling to fight and gave to commoners willing to. Her brother was king but abdicated ASAP. The Queen is pragmatic and puts Cormyr before all. You do NOT want to suggest that she is unfit to rule.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app
So a typical power fantasy character aimed at teenage readers?

Remove ads