• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) What is the true "value" of improved vision types & replacements

G

Guest 6801328

Yeah, I do. But "dim" almost never happens during gameplay. Either the party has a lightsource, or darkvision.

A mechanic devoted to "dim" light, would be an infuriating, pointless, waste.

For those corner cases such as cats, let Perception training ignore penalties from dim light.

I use (and like it when DMs use) light as essentially a terrain feature. But, I know a lot of DMs don't use terrain, either.

Also, if you don't use dim light does that mean that the wood-elf camouflage ability, and the shadow monk's shadowstep ability, can't be used?

Phoebasss

Explorer
I use (and like it when DMs use) light as essentially a terrain feature. But, I know a lot of DMs don't use terrain, either.

Also, if you don't use dim light does that mean that the wood-elf camouflage ability, and the shadow monk's shadowstep ability, can't be used?
Outside of those special cases, are there any actual changes to combat between bright and dim light? Because like, I use terrain a bunch to make combat more interesting, but most of the time my party waits until after combat to deal with perception check stuff. So I don't end up seeing much difference between dim and bright, besides that I'd need to remind my players to light a torch before making perception checks.

G

Guest 6801328

Outside of those special cases, are there any actual changes to combat between bright and dim light? Because like, I use terrain a bunch to make combat more interesting, but most of the time my party waits until after combat to deal with perception check stuff. So I don't end up seeing much difference between dim and bright, besides that I'd need to remind my players to light a torch before making perception checks.

I generally rule that characters (PC or NPC) attempting to stealth in dim light impose disadvantage on the opposed Peception test. That's applicable both during combat (especially for characters who can hide with a bonus action, e.g. rogues or goblins) and out of combat.

So, for example, if there are areas of dim light, then archers trying to Hide with their bonus action typically try to stay near them.

The wood elf camouflage ability homebrews to work in any natural terrain, in bright light too. (A rule of thumb is, the ground is rock or soil, so a farm field counts.) Effectively, the elf becomes invisible in natural terrain, which feels closer to the reallife folklore anyway. It is a magical ability. Right now, it reminds me of Misty Step, in the sense of being "between" matter and ether.

I havent dealt with Monk Shadowstep, but even a well illuminated area casts shadows, so narrative adjudication can waive most of the difficulties.

Remove ads