D&D General what is the unifying theme of gnomes?

Gnomes have no unifying theme.
Does any of the 'classic;' races have a unifying theme?

@Snarf Zagyg has already shown us that elves don't.
Humans... maybe their only theme is they are middle f the road, can do everything but are not otherwise special? i.e. they are the known baseline.
Dwarfs? Eh, some of them live underground and some don't. Mostly they are miners and 'salt of the earth' folk, but is that a unifying theme?
Halflings? Just half humans right? Its in there name.

A lot of the 'newer' ones that have not been envisioned a million different ways do.
Genesai are elementals, so yea, they do
Aarakocra are flyers, so yea, they do.
Shifters do, they are shifters.
What about firbogs? I don't think so, at least nothing that has made an impression on me.

Orcs used to. But of course we are no longer supposed to stereotype by race because of the real-world associations. So can we really have any unifying themes to a race anymore?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Does any of the 'classic;' races have a unifying theme?
Elf: Forest Dwelling Archers with magical talent.
Dwarf: Underground Armored Smith-Warriors.
Halfling: Bilbo Baggins

That's it. That's the classic race unifying themes right there. LATER they got some variety with the Tallfellow halflings and 2 dozen different elf sub-races.

But gnome was always just "Halfling 2: Electric Boogaloo".

It's why they're sometimes humanoids, sometimes fey, and sometimes tinkers. Since they have no central identity, new ones get slapped onto them.

Dioltach

Legend
fascination with mushrooms, herbs and roots
Now I want to play a Hemulen.
Hemulen.jpg

Their creator, Theophrastus "Paracelsus" von Hohenheim, designated them as beings of elemental earth.

Within D&D they've settled into the space of folkloric little people / mythic trickster that Elves and Dwarves can't occupy, because they glom too closely to Tolkienesque tropes.

Remove ads