D&D 5E What Is The Value of Stunning Strike?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
More importantly Expeditious retreat can provide up to 10 bonus actions for dash/disengage. Typically it will provide 3-4. Step of the Wind provides 1. It’s a lot better than step of the wind on a per resource basis.
No, it isn't. Step of The Wind is much better.
Hideous Laughter will prevent about 1.3 enemy turns on average. Command flee (no concentration) will often prevent 1.2. Stunning strike will prevent about .6 (higher level its more like .3)
That doesn't match my play experience nor what i've seen at other tables, either actual play or just friends' games. And Hideous Laughter, again, makes it a bad plan to attack the target, while stunning strike makes it much easier to kill the target before the effect ends.
And it's more likely to land.
And it effectively deals damage as well.

Monk abilities are most comparable to level 1 spells and outside stunning strike are likely weaker than most. There’s some slight situational differences of course.

The saving grace is the monk gets a crap ton of ki and can still attack while using his abilities.
lol okay, sure.

I really don't care to continue to argue this. You're nitpicking to...checks OP...come to the same basic value measurement that i did in the OP.

Can we move on, now?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, it isn't. Step of The Wind is much better.
Checks math. Whole encounter of effect vs 1 turn of effect. Encounter > round

And Hideous Laughter, again, makes it a bad plan to attack the target, while stunning strike makes it much easier to kill the target before the effect ends.
And it's more likely to land.
And it effectively deals damage as well.
All true, but when hideous laughter is preventing nearly twice the enemy rounds on average then at best those observations bring stunning strike up to par with it, Not surpassing it.

lol okay, sure.

I really don't care to continue to argue this. You're nitpicking to...checks OP...come to the same basic value measurement that i did in the OP.
Which is why it’s so astounding to me that you are arguing the ki abilities are now better than first level spells.

Can we move on, now?
Go for it.

Remove ads