D&D 5E What is WotC working on now?

pukunui

Legend
As to the original question: they have promised free conversion guides, so "this is how you convert a 2e module" sort of thing, which meshes well with D&D Classics pretty well.
I have a feeling we may have misunderstood what Mearls meant by "conversion guides". I too was hoping for guidelines on updating older editions' content to 5e, but I think what we may end up getting is just guidelines on how to make 5e play more like older editions.

BryonD

Hero
I have a feeling we may have misunderstood what Mearls meant by "conversion guides". I too was hoping for guidelines on updating older editions' content to 5e, but I think what we may end up getting is just guidelines on how to make 5e play more like older editions.
That is how I read it. (Not that my reading means anything. :) )

Boarstorm

First Post

And I always assumed they were just talking about converting PCs from earlier editions.

pukunui

Legend
Sasquatch is making it, not WotC.
Sasquatch is working on the content, but I believe it will still be an official D&D 5e product published by WotC (much like the Tyranny of Dragons adventures were written by Kobold Press but published by WotC).

Nebulous

Legend
Psionics was left out of the core, but we know they did some work on them. Maybe they're in the early stages of development on what will be the Fall release: a science-fantasy Spelljammer romp that pits the party against Mind Flayers In Space, and features psionics as character options including Githzerai and Githyanki (fully embracing the cornball pulpy science-fantasy vibe that created them in the first place via Spelljammer).
[*] Undoubtedly, someone is putting together some "Unearthed Arcana" articles for DMG rules that missed the boat. Again, we know they did some work on a lot of things that didn't appear in the DMG ultimately.

I'd prefer Dark Sun, but i'd also be happy with a gonzo Spelljammer campaign setting featuring psionics. And yes, i imagine they have a metric ton of UA articles.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sasquatch is working on the content, but I believe it will still be an official D&D 5e product published by WotC (much like the Tyranny of Dragons adventures were written by Kobold Press but published by WotC).

Yes. The thread is about "things that WotC is working on".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nope, WotC even had a contest where the winner would be a character in the background of the film. But I'm pretty sure they had to cancel the contest.

Really? I missed that! Do you have a link to any more info?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

No, they were pretty clear on that; coupled with the fact that they are selling all of that older edition material, I am certain we will get conversion guides.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Conversion guides would be a really cheap way of suddenly providing hundreds of adventures for your game, instantly turning it into an incredibly well-supported game.

That said, it then removes the benefit of an OGL-style license, as third party support fills that same role.

Remove ads