• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is WotC working on now?

Zaran

Adventurer
So we have the DMG. Great book. Probably my favorite of the three. We are getting books from Sasquatch next. But what is WotC working on? They haven't said a word about what's next. In fact I felt like they have dodged any questions about any other products besides books that relate to Adventure Paths (Yuck). What are they waiting for?

What I am interested in are setting books and modules. Not adventure paths but modules that we can drop into our campaigns. I don't know. I have to say that I am wary of any official rules from someone other than WotC but that's what the Adventurer's Handbook sounds like. They have 7-8 guys who worked on 5e. Unless half them gets laid off soon they have to be working on something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What are they waiting for?

Movie rights to resolve. Rights to make D&D movies were in court back in September. The judge told both sides that resolving the issue may take some time, and that it may end with nobody happy, and suggested they come to some settlement before she ruled on the case.

I suspect the product plan with a movie in the works is much different from the product plan without said movie.

They may also be waiting for the legal department to hash through the license they'll be using. Again, the product plan probably changed depending on license terms.

Joe Liker

First Post
Maybe their future budget is contingent on the sales of the core books. If that's the case, they may not be able to commit to specific product launches until January.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Didnt they say there was a Handbook, like Adventurer's Handbook being released with the Princes of the Apoc line?

Edit: Seems the Adv. Handbook is a Sasquatch product.

Nebulous

Legend
Movie rights to resolve. Rights to make D&D movies were in court back in September. The judge told both sides that resolving the issue may take some time, and that it may end with nobody happy, and suggested they come to some settlement before she ruled on the case.

I suspect the product plan with a movie in the works is much different from the product plan without said movie.

They may also be waiting for the legal department to hash through the license they'll be using. Again, the product plan probably changed depending on license terms.

Well, now that's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Who exactly is arguing over it? I thought WotC owned the rights to do whatever........oh wait. I just remembered something about the legal arrangement with that awful old D&D movie with Jeremy Irons. Is that the problem?

Astrosicebear

First Post
Well, now that's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Who exactly is arguing over it? I thought WotC owned the rights to do whatever........oh wait. I just remembered something about the legal arrangement with that awful old D&D movie with Jeremy Irons. Is that the problem?

Its a very complicated matter involving definition of sequels and a proxy lawyer war...

http://deadline.com/2014/09/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-rights-trial-sequel-lawsuit-warner-bros-universal-835320/

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Hasbro and Universal trying to wrestle the rights back from the people who made that movie, who have sold them (if they have them) to Warner Bros.

Huge, ugly mess that controls the future of our hobby, to some extent. Good times...

Remove ads