What is your biggest RPG heartbreak?

Chris Harris

Freelance Editor, Proofreader, Game Designer
Age 11, buying T1: The Village of Hommlet right when it hit the shelves, and then waiting for the Temple of Elemental Evil to come out "soon." I squinted down that road to Nulb for a decade! I accidentally cut loose with a fairly loud "MFer!" in a game and comic shop in Austin when I saw it on the shelf after all that time, and they understood.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Not sure it classes as heartbreak, probably more regret, but anyways never buying Star Wars Saga Edition. I've a Star Wars campaign I'm itching to run but none of the SW systems I have fit our group and Saga Edition from what I've read of it would be right up our street

I feel the same way about it. The book is lovely, and I was totally on-board with it to a point. When I saw just how many systems and subsystems were piling up, I stopped reading.

WFRP 4E. It's a gorgeous book and the supplements are amazing. Their update of Enemey Within is brilliant. But the WFRP 4E game itself is a nightmarish disaster. I really hope they update the hell out of it and streamline things a lot.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
....Oof...i keep hearing this about WHFRP 4e. I have a few items for the line, was going to start on the Starter Set, but this complaint keeps cropping up.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
....Oof...i keep hearing this about WHFRP 4e. I have a few items for the line, was going to start on the Starter Set, but this complaint keeps cropping up.
The Starter Set uses a smaller version of the game (obviously) and does a good job of walking you through the system one bit at a time. For me the full version of 4E is way, way too much. So it's back to 2E with a few house rules.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
The Starter Set uses a smaller version of the game (obviously) and does a good job of walking you through the system one bit at a time. For me the full version of 4E is way, way too much. So it's back to 2E with a few house rules.
2e is the Mongoose edition?

Yeah, I think I like 2e Warhammer best of all. I'd go with 1e, but while it's got the most attitude of all of the editions, 2e smoothes out the rough edges just enough, mechanically speaking.

Remove ads