D&D General What is your favorite Class?

Yaarel

He Mage
Well, there's no way to be a 1st level Wizard/Rogue. So right off the bat it's different.

And you gain a level in Wizard and then a level in Rogue and then back and forth. You're never a mage/thief, you're both a Wizard and a Rogue. This may be semantics, but it just feels totally different.

The 3.0 DMG had a sidebar on how to multiclass at 1st level, which was workable but still had the same long-term dissonance. That sidebar did not appear in 3.5 and that was pretty much that.
Understood your concern about "longterm dissonance", but in the shortterm, how does a 5e starting Human Rogue with a magic "Initiate" feat play out, and then multiclass afterward? There doesnt seem to be a Rogue Initiate feat for a starting Wizard to take, unless I am missing it? Maybe a Human Wizard with the Skulker feat, and then multiclass?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I can pretty much enjoy any class I play, but there are certain themes that do come up from time to time.

Rangers - I've liked them since 1e (although 2e's was one of the low points of that edition - the editions were compatible enough we just kept playing 1e rangers). Particularly good version are 1e's, 4e's, PF's, and, yes, 5e's.

Bards - yes, I played a 1e bard and had a blast with him.

Clerics - I really dug into the specialty priests of 2e and I'd like to see more portfolio-based specialties appear for 5e

Druids - also been a big fan since 1e. I always thought they had a particularly interesting spell list.

Monks - my favorite versions are based on Oriental Adventure's martial arts. I really enjoyed building styles and would like to see a modular approach to doing so for 5e.

Paladins - I've played paladins in multiple editions but particularly good ones are PF's and 5e's.

Rogues - I've been enjoying 5e's rogue in particular. Excellent use of bonus actions to make the class play differently from other classes.

Wizards - 5e's wizards are my favorite edition so far
elaborate on that monk as I might have had similar ideas?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
In 1e, 2e, 3.5/PF, and 5e it's always been Cleric - although often with modifications to whatever the PHB offers. The combination of spells and fighting is appealing, and picking a particular faith/deity/whatnot lets me lean in to some flavor. And after all these years it's just comfortable. The 4e cleric just didn't do it for me.

In 1e, 2e, 3.5/PF, and 5e it's always been Cleric - although often with modifications to whatever the PHB offers. The combination of spells and fighting is appealing, and picking a particular faith/deity/whatnot lets me lean in to some flavor. And after all these years it's just comfortable. The 4e cleric just didn't do it for me.
That's because in 4e the prior cleric concept was spread out over several classes (not even just the divine ones, since those only covered 'good guy' divine.)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
1e - Ranger
2e - Ranger
3e - Psychic Warrior / Warblade tie
4e - Avenger / Paladin / Warlord tie
5e - Paladin / Warlock tie

PF 1 - Oracle
PF 2 - Barbarian / Monk tie

aco175

Legend
I have a soft spot for the basic halfling, but that may be looking back 40 years.

I do like 4e swordmage as well, but think that 5e rogue is my current favorite. I find the 5e classes have a good string of powers that keep you picking the same class and not multiclassing that much. By 7th level you have some cool things like half damage from an attack or no damage when you save vs a fireball.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Understood your concern about "longterm dissonance", but in the shortterm, how does a 5e starting Human Rogue with a magic "Initiate" feat play out, and then multiclass afterward? There doesnt seem to be a Rogue Initiate feat for a starting Wizard to take, unless I am missing it? Maybe a Human Wizard with the Skulker feat, and then multiclass?
A Rogue/Thief with Magic Initiate (Wizard or Bard) is one of my favorite character concepts in 5e, especially since most games in which I've been a player have petered out by 5th level or so. It's a great setup at low levels. Even moreso than Magic Initiate, I love Ritual Caster, because it doesn't cap you in terms of spells known.

But I like the "sneaky character with a handful of spells" paradigm, and I like the flexibility of a spellbook instead of being kneecapped by a list of "spells known," and it's a rougher concept to pull off in 5e than it should be. Even Ritual Caster doesn't totally do the trick, since some spells that logically should be rituals (like magic circle), inexplicably aren't.

Note than one level of Wizard added to the Rogue class accomplishes almost everything I want. And in terms of a character concept like the Grey Mouser, a former wizard's apprentice turned ruffian, it works even better than the earlier versions did. But it still rubs me the wrong way. I just don't like it.

I want to be able to multiclass at 1st level.

Last edited:

I have a (full) caster fetish.

2E - Cleric. I was obsessed with the Forgotten Realms Faiths & Avatars book by Julia Martin and wanted to play so many of the specialty priests. My specialty priest of Akadi blathered on about how superior she was because she flew -- only lesser beings were earthbound.

3E - Cleric. Divine Favor. Divine Power. Righteous Might. Divine Metamagic. Persistent Spell. STOP ME BEFORE I POWERGAME AGAIN.

5E - Wizard. The addition of at-will cantrips made wizards my favorite class in this edition. In the old days they burned through their spells and then were reduced to shooting a crossbow, which was sad. The at-will cantrips gave them a staying power they never had before. I also think they have the most consistently good subclasses of all the classes.

ECMO3

Hero
Out of all of the Classes from every edition, which Class if your favorite and why?
5e Rogue is my favorite overall

From other editions:
3E: Swashbuckler I guess? (this is difficult because aevery character is a mish-mash of prestige classes and classes)
2E: Ranger
1E: Paladin
OD&D: Elf

Remove ads