• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite edition of D&D and why?

Mallus

Legend
Strictly D&D: 4e. It's a great mix of rules I didn't think I needed (ie the whole powers/combat engine, Skill Challenges) and an absence of rules I know I didn't need (a unified framework, 1000's of spells). Also, the dreaded balance, and a distinct lack of becoming a game entirely about spellcasters/the use of magic.

Including d20 System games: M&M2e. It does high level D&D better than any other version of D&D.

I have fond, fond memories of 2e --and AD&D for getting me into the game-- but those are more feeling about certain people and a place in time.

edit: my friends and I have some great times w/3e, but as a DM/worldbuilder it was always rough going. 3e promised a lot of freedom/flexibility, but it never really panned out --at least not compared to d20 systems like M&M.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Always the latest one.
That's me. With the possible exception of 2E which wasn't different enough from 1E for my taste. Back then I thought it was just a grab for money. Imho, it was more like selling errata for 1E.

Still, most of my favorite supplements were published for 2E.

MrMyth

First Post
4E is my favorite. In terms of practicality, I am simply a huge fan of the ease of gameplay and (relative) balance within the rules - and especially how much easier it is for a DM, in terms of designing monsters and statting out encounters. In terms of emotional enjoyment, that comes from the increased emphasis on 'exciting' gameplay, as well as the flavor they've managed to invest - in the default setting, in the classes, and the presence of flavorful mechanical elements like Epic Destinies. As more of the settings I enjoyed in earlier editions make their way into 4E - either on their own (Eberron, upcoming Dark Sun) or as part of the base setting (Domains of Dread, Planescape), the game becomes even more enjoyable - especially given the quality of that content thus far.

Jack99

Adventurer
4e (followed a decent bit behind by 1e)

Because I vastly prefer the fun at the table with my friends over the fun at home making stuff for my friends.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I think I have to vote 4E for all the previously mentioned reasons. Less prep work, streamlined some of the things that don't matter so much, simplified a lot of the rolls, etc. My friends and I would frequently give descriptions of our actions and how we would like things to go, but we get to the swinging of the sword, roll, and miss heh. The receovery systems built into 4E allow a more cinematic style, which we used to try and accomplish in 2E back in high school.

I have fond memories of all the editions. I started playing Basic in 6th grade in 1987. I quickly picked up all the BECMI sets and started buying the AD&D books. Freshman year some friends and I all picked up 2E and started a new gaming group, which lasted thru the rest of high school. We played other things too, like TMNT, RIFTS and Vampire, but D&D was always our main game. 3rd Ed came out and I had a very different group of friends and we played the heck out of that. My 3E group fell apart around the time of 3.5 and, not liking the way 3.5 was going anyway, I passed on it entirely except for some 3rd party material. Now I'm back w/a couple of my college friends plu some new friends and we occasionally get together for CoC or 4E.

Dark Sun next year has me very excited as Dark Sun was one of those great 2E capaign settings we spent so much time reading and talking about and occasionally even playing in during high school heh.

Wombat

First Post
It would either be OD&D (pre-"1st Ed") or OGL/3.whatever.

The first is there because it was The First Game for me; the second because it convinced me to come back to D&D after all those years. :)

kitsune9

Adventurer
The Question: What is your favorite edition of Dungeons & Dragons and why? Please give (at least) two answers--or at least keep this in mind--one each for what is associated by the terms the "left brain" and "right brain." The left brain is analytical, rational, differentiating, and system-oriented. This would likely be a mechanical or design reason, something to do with the rules of the game itself. The right brain is more aesthetic, receptive, holistic, and imaginative.

3.x/Pathfinder.

Left brain--power gaming and uber characters. One-trick ponies.

Right brain--infinite options.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm split on this one.

From a DM standpoint, I'll go with 4e all the way. I've DMed 3e from 3rd to 20th, and now dming 4e its a lot easier.

From a player, I'm mixed right now. My favorite moments as a player were in 3e games, but I also have a LOT more gametime logged under that system.

I like a lot of what they did with 4e, but there are certain things that annoy the crap out of me, and the siren song of nostalgia is always there.

Further, I'm also entering the age where gaming is becoming much harder. I've gone from playing once a week all day long to now getting lucky if I get a 6 hour game once every two weeks. I've found it harder to get into the game when I get to play less...and I think I would feel that way regardless of which edition.

Mallus

Legend
Left brain--power gaming and uber characters. One-trick ponies.

Right brain--infinite options.
You should try Mutants and Masterminds for D&D-style fantasy (especially if you like the 'infinite options' angle -- it's the crowning achievement of the d20 system, IMNSHO).

Remove ads