D&D General What is your favorite iteration of the Ravenloft Campaign Setting?

Favorite Ravenloft Campaign Setting

• Ravenloft Boxed Set (black box)

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Revised Ravenloft Boxed Set (red box)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Domains of Dread (hardcover TSR)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Domains of Dread (hardcover white wolf/Arhaus)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Shadowfell (4E “domain of Dread”)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Curse of Strahd (mini-campaign)

• Innistrahd (planeshift pdf)

• Masque of the Red Death

• Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (3E Campaign adventure)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I6 - Ravenloft (pre-campaign 1E adventure)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Heroes of Horror (3E genre supplement)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Apologies in advance for the nitpicking, but your phrasing here is making me scratch my head. There was a 3.5 MotRD, but what 3.0 incarnation are you referring to...?
Eh. You're right. I was mixing it up with the 3.0 Ravenloft setting book vs. 3.5 Ravenloft Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide.

Oops!

jasper

Rotten DM
I6 was the best. Each DM could put their own personal stamp on the setting, using what every lore floated their boat.

jgsugden

Legend
I like mine. It has been through a few iterations over the years, but the core concept has remained the same - rather than being people plucked out of the Prime Material, they're evil twins created by the horrible agony that was in the world around them.

The Shadowfell, being a reflective plane of the Prime, changes to mirror what happens in the "real world". Sometimes, when something incomprehensibly horrible takes place, the reflection manifests into an intelligent "twin" of something in the real world. It could be a being, a place or an object. Regardless of what the original was, the twin is evil and obsessed with something.

The Shadowfell treats these intelligent twins as invaders, and seals them up in a Misty Border that contains the infections. There are ways through the mist for everyone except the infection, but they are not easy.

I have some of the obligatory undead lords (Mummy Lord, Lich, Vampire, etc...), some insanely 'Haunted' locations, a few items of horrific interest, etc... but, also some that are the dark mirror of a hero of legend that was there when the tragic event took place. I've copied a couple high level PCs as twins.

Remove ads