D&D General [+] What is your favorite non-WotC D&D setting?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Sticking to just D&D and it's family of games, 13th Age's Dragon Empire is probably my favorite non-Wizards/TSR published setting. It's definitely the non-Wizards/TSR setting that I've run the most in a D&D or D&D-like game (that isn't a homebrew setting).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've come to really like Golarion. Lot of detractors of the kitchen sink campaign settings, but most of my games sit in one particular corner of the setting anyways. I think there is an advantage to having one big encompassing setting you can do a lot with. The products can be both generic and specific, which is really nice for the consumer. I have been able to do fantasy pirates, kingdom building, horror, political intrigue, sci-fi blending, etc... Lot of folks ask how these things can happen in the same setting, but once you dig in you don't really care I find in practice. YMMV.

Stormonu

Legend
My homebrew, Crimson Empire. It’s Arabic/Mediterranean based, with “enemies” of the empire that include a kraken-worshipping Norse empire, a land of wild dragons and a yakuza empire with a fleet of ninja pirates.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This may be stretching it a bit because it's d20 and not explicitly for D&D, but I've had a lot of fun in 13th Age's Dragon Empire. It's intentionally given only in broad strokes so that you can make it your own, but those broad strokes are chock full of adventure hooks and awesome. It's as if it was made as an excellent place to be any sort of adventurer first, and as a coherent setting second.

GuyBoy

Hero
Scarred Lands
Iron Kingdoms
Midnight
Primeval Thule

All of them were great in different ways (though I was always slightly uncomfortable with the word Thule, bearing in mind its appropriation in early C20th by some pretty foul people). I ran games in IK and Midnight back in 3e days and had fun. Despite my earlier caveat, I did really enjoy the Primeval Thule setting and the Kull/Conan vibe it had going.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm a big fan of Tribality's "Seas of Vodari" campaign setting. Adventure on (and under) the high seas, in a world destroyed by a magical cataclysm! New race options like Sea Dwarf, Siren, Voda, and Minotaur; new core class (gunslinger), new subclasses, ship templates, rules for flintlocks and cannons, rules for naval combat and duels, underwater adventuring...it's a quality product with a good mix of fluff and crunch. Definitely worth checking out; you can download a free ("pay what you want") 26-page sample here.

1648575275980.png

Official link:

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases