D&D General What is your flavor of AD&D?

What edition/clone do you use for AD&D?

• Original D&D

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • AD&D first edition

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • AD&D 1.5

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • AD&D 2e

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Options and Tactics (no judging here)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 3e (no judging here either )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Castles and Crusades

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • OSRIC

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • For Gold and Glory

• Adventurer Conqueror King

• Dungeon Crawl Classics

• Labyrinth Lord with Advanced Options Companion

• S&W

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Hackmaster

Votes: 0 0.0%

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
As a counterpart to this What's your brand of Basic? I thought now was a good time to go with the Advanced side of the equations. Added "other" as an option because there are a lot of clones and I could easily forget one.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Voted '1e' and 'other' as what I both play and run is a very homebrewed version of 1e.

Also, consider adding "Adventures Deep and Dark" as an option, it's very 1e-like.

GreyLord

Legend
Currently it looks like I have the only votes in for OD&D and AD&D 1.5 (either 1e with UA tossed in, or 1e with some of the core rules of 2e tossed such as THAC0 as standard [rather than the to hit tables] or the THAC0 progressions and other such modifications).

I also marked AD&D (1e) and AD&D 2e as well as C&C.

1E and house rules.

A LOT of house rules, even after multiple serious attempts to reduce the amount.

1E AD&D is great... for what it is. You don't jump in a Model A and head onto the freeway thinking it'll drive the same as a BMW 535i, a Prius, or Challenger. If you're taking 1E D&D onto the modern RPG freeway expecting it to be competitive you need a lot of modifications. Doesn't mean you don't do it, just that it comes with expectations of NEEDING house rules and still playing quite differently than newer editions. Similarly, it's RIDICULOUS to me to draw comparisons and say things like 5E can replicate the "feel" of 1E. Bollocks. Part of the FEEL of 1E is its very clunkyness requiring individual creativity in rules from the person running it. Even a souped up Model A isn't the same thing as a 1965 Mustang. But that works the other way too - a 2020 Porche won't EVER look, sound, feel, and handle the same as anything you do to a Model A.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Player's Option, accept no substitutions-- but I do allow classes, races, kits, and proficiencies from 2e supplemental materials.

atanakar

Hero
AD&D 2e (bleu inside art) is my favorite TSR era version of the game, but without the Complete Handbooks. We didn't use them. I ran my longest most successful D&D campaign with. It lasted 3 years in real time. We played every 3-4 weeks. The characters were level 12 when it ended because I had no more ideas to continue.

I also played in another DM's campaign for at least a year. We did 12 hours sessions. 5 hours of each campaign with a home cooked diner in between.

Last edited:

Remove ads