What is your gaming white whale?

Voadam

Legend
Go for it regards the Northlands Saga.
I’ve been lucky enough to DM it for a great group of players and it was brutal fun. I can still taste the salt of the bitter old seas, and still see the look on @TheSword ’s face as the gold, tied up in a blanket, slipped of the tilting ice floe, into the unplumbed depths!
Good to hear. :)

I’d love to play in or DM a truly amazing Birthright Game… or something conveying it. With all the atmosphere of Cerillia and the politiking and mass combat and castles and monsters etc etc. One day.
An all-in Birthright game sounds pretty cool. Imagine one with the panoply of kingdoms shining as the PCs wage war and scheme, the weight of their crowns bearing down upon them. I think a lot about how the classic domain endgame of D&D is missing in most campaigns these days.

An all-in Birthright game sounds pretty cool. Imagine one with the panoply of kingdoms shining as the PCs wage war and scheme, the weight of their crowns bearing down upon them. I think a lot about how the classic domain endgame of D&D is missing in most campaigns these days.
My perfect BR game would start as unblooded adventurers before becoming blooded and then getting kingdoms, establishing dynasties, and really changing the world.

TheSword

Legend
I think if it were possible to capture the feel of The Witcher in that campaign mixed with a bit of Game of Thrones, with an existential threat of the Gorgon (or worse Azrai returned) building in the North it could be a sight to see.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I still want to do Company Raj in a High Magic India from the rise of the East India Company through to Victoria taking over. PCs can be analogues of British, French, Moguls, Sikhs, Gurkhas, Marathas and others in a colonial contest of Imperium

I think if it were possible to capture the feel of The Witcher in that campaign mixed with a bit of Game of Thrones, with an existential threat of the Gorgon (or worse Azrai returned) building in the North it could be a sight to see.
Wasn’t the weird dude in the Shadow Realm going to be revealed to be Azrai, and his return, as well as an invasion from the home continent of the tribes, to be a major facet of the planned revised edition? Work that stuff in there, too, and you have gold.

Ondath

Hero
I've managed to check a lot of stuff from my DMing bucket list this month (finished 2 Tier 4 campaigns the same week!), but there is some stuff I've yet to cross off my list:
  • Having a "generational" campaign that lasts several decades (in-game!) and sees the characters age substantially. I'm planning to implement really long downtime durations from Level 10 onwards (things like you need to spend 1 year in downtime before levelling up) to make this happen organically.
  • DMing a long campaign in English. All the groups I've DM'd for so far are Turkish, and I did run a 4-5 session Planescape game in French, but never in English. The game being written in English (and a lot of the fantasy inspirations coming from myths from the English-speaking world), I feel like it would be a lot easier... And I just know more accents I can badly copy to make more varied NPCs.
  • Having a long-term campaign start and finish entirely in face-to-face. I started DMing online through Roll20, and after 3 years of doing that, I told myself "I will find myself a face-to-face group from my uni, and we'll run the whole game with proper pen and paper and it'll be great". This was in 2020... So the entire ended up being hybrid. It was a great game, but I still wish I could get the proper, old school experience without using online tabletops and notes on my computer.

Last edited:

Remove ads