• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your overused plot hook ?

Drawmack

First Post
The king, counsel, ruling power of choice, compells you to help them.

Every role player knows you can't say no to the rulling body no matter how many times they need your help.

Shallown

First Post
Children in danger such as kidnapped or they have fallen in the well. Etc. I also feature kids in adventures as npc’s that deal with characters either through hero worship witnessing something the players need to know etc. At times it is overused though by me.

lukelightning

First Post
Shallown said:
Children in danger such as kidnapped or they have fallen in the well.

Same here...though in my current campaign it's 'cuz when I asked players for their motivation, one said his character's sister had been kidnapped, so I worked that into the plot.

Crothian

First Post
The wizard the group knows is all powerful and very evil shows up and they work for him...again. Against their better judgement. :D

Raloc

First Post
Depends on the disposition of the party. If they are your typical D&D style mostly-good-altrusitic party, then I usually just put them into situations that threaten the existence of the game world, and let them see if they can stop it. If they aren't the typical party (as IM current campaign, where most of the party is neutral or evil) then I mix it up a bit depending on each character's motivations. Currently, the party is motivated by some mix of revenge(the divine champion of Kossuth), powerlust (necromancer), greed (rogue) and fear (all of them).

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Treason! Leading to revenge!

A bit overused, I admit.

Me: "You meet this NPC who's really nice and helpful".

My players: "We slay him before he turns on us!"

Me: "Ummmm ... how did you know he would betray you?"

My players: "Because the always do!"

Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.:) :D

/M

Goblyn

Explorer
Jürgen Hubert said:
In my case it is probably:

"The PCs did something in past adventures that had unintended consequences, and now must deal with these consequences somehow."

I don't think I've ever used a plot hook other than this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads