• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your overused plot hook ?

Slife

First Post
The Grackle said:
Is appealing to player's greed a plot hook? Because that gets them. Every. Single. Time.
Player's greed? So you're all, hey, have your characters go investigate the Tombs of the Lost Ones, and I'll give you guys twenty bucks?

Can I get in on this game?;)

And now to be constructive. I agree, greed works for just about any character. Even the paladins who say they don't care about money.

Last edited:

jollyninja

First Post
a dart flies past your head, you hear the sound of running footsteps fleeing in the darkness. and yes, the dart is poisoned with a rare substance that is used only by one group based in a distant land.

Nyaricus

First Post
PCs in my Faerun games always look for Temples of Helm (the God of Guardians) in any major city - there are always postings of work for trade caravans on the front of his church doors.

Then, they usually end up ona trade caravan as some 'hired muscle'.

cheers,
--N

Ry

Explorer
The PCs are members of an organization, and they are in a position to defend its holdings or further its goals.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I'm actually amazed that my over used plot hook was not mentioned . . . I thought it was the old standby for EVERYONE:

The [village, town, city, country, continent, planet, multiverse] is threatened by [humanoid, dragon, demon, devil, aberration, wizard, cleric, sorcerer of choice] and the [village elders, town council, city rulers, king, emperor, world-ruling cabal, gods] ask the less powerful PCs to resolve the issue because [s/he/it/they have this other thing to do and can't be bothered with it right now].

Remove ads