What is your reaction to the Eberron news?

What is your reaction to the Eberron news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Excited

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 3 3.4%

guachi

Hero
We have a poll up asking for reactions to the news of a Ravnica setting book. I thought I'd add a poll with the same choices for reactions to the news of Eberron appearing on DMs Guild with a setting book written by its creator, Kieth Baker.

kbrakke

First Post
If anyone wants to know who these announcements appealed to, you can just point to me. I am ecstatic about both announcements. My first full 5e campaign was set in Eberron and ended last year after 2.5 years of play. We took a break to explore other things, but my Eberron love was always there. Now with the wayfinders guide I have an even easier time getting my now experienced players to play another game in the setting. I also think the way dragonmarks are done in the guide are just brilliant. The fact that we're going to be getting more things as they update and create more has me even more excited.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I'm pretty excited Eberron is back, but I'm less than enthused on the way it was brought back. I was hoping for a full sourcebook.

So, I'm not sure how to answer this question.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm a big Eberron fan and ran the setting in 3.5e and 4e. I was looking forward to the 5e version.

However, I'm currently in the planning stages for my next campaign as my current one approaches completion and I'm just not sure I can run Eberron. My current group is not familiar with the setting and I generally don't like to run published settings when the players have no experience with it. But at the same time, I'm a fan. So I'm really torn about whether to use it even though I bought the rules PDF.

I'll drink on it and perhaps an answer will come to me.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Mildly surprised it wasn't Planescape or Spelljammer, although I now suspect that those two setting will be covered by published Adventure Paths (sort of like how Storm King's Thunder acted as a quasi-Campaign Setting for the Savage Frontier, and Tomb of Annihilation acted similarly for Chult) . . . Perhaps by using Dungeon of the Mad Mage as a springboard.

Mildly disappointed it wasn't Dark Sun, even though I was certain it wouldn't be. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to whip up a homebrew Dark Sun-inspired setting in 5e, even if you have to leave out the psionics.

Excited that it turned out to be Eberron. Much prefer Eberron to the Forgotten Realms.
Bring on the necromancer elves, druidic orcs, dinosaur riding halflings, and robot Warforged!

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Neutreal. Not a fan of the setting but I hope it knocks it out of the park for fans of it.

Very succinctly, sometimes to be a good fan you have to take satisfaction in the fact that other people enjoy a hobby in a different way. I have zero interest in robots and trains in D&D. However, I am glad that other fans will play more D&D because of it!

I really wish for more swords and sorcery whether Greyhawk or something new in that genre. And no, the Realms don't do it for me.

Whatever. The game is thriving, fans are playing and recruiting.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
If it were a hardcover release, I would be excited. If it were a hardcover Planescape release, I would be very excited.

As it is, I'm just neutral. I was never a big Eberron fan to begin with, and DM Guild releases have a marginal effect on my games anyways.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Very excited. I'm very happy with the Wayfarer's Guide as it's been released, and the stuff that's currently missing (Artificer and Psionics, mostly) are stuff that have never really appealed to my players anyway (as much I love Psionics). I was very skeptical about True Dragonmarks as Sub/Alt-Races but the way they've been implemented works great, and they've already mentioned they've got stuff in the works for adventurers manifesting the true mark later in life, which is my primary remaining concern about that plan.

What's more, more fan content on the DM's Guild to expand the setting (including stuff Keith himself can develop and sell) makes it all the more exciting.

ccs

41st lv DM
100% neutral.

Eberron has never done anything for me one way or the other & I've never been inspired to run a game set in it. So I wouldn't likely be buying an Eberron book anyways. That said....

I prefer physical books. In the few cases where I've gotten a PDF of a module, I print it out. There is no way I'm going to waste the amount of ink needed to print out a 170-some page book for a setting I don't care about.
And I'm absolutely not going to PAY for (Eberron) playtest material, living document or not.
So I can wait patiently for the project to be completed, printed as a real book, & then still probably ignore it.

If you're an Eberron fan? Then I hope how ever they release this setting for 5e works for you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads