• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What items would you like when you buy an RPG book?

Which of these digital products seem useful or appealing to you?

• Bookmarked PDF of the full book

Votes: 46 92.0%
  • Tokens and mark down files to use for importing into VTT

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Printable images of the creatures, either for use in VTT or to print and show your players

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • RTF or equivalent file, for ease of cut and pasting the parts you want

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Readability version, with larger font and no page background images

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Printer Friendly PDF (no page backgrounds, just the text and any important images)

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • STL files of the creatures for at-home 3d printing

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.0%

Bookmarked PDF is a must. I will add: Tablet-optimized, bookmarked PDF (some PDFs I own are basically unusable, in particular because of their heavy use of transparency). Also, if it's a rule book, I consider it an omission if there's no form-fillable character sheet PDF.
Things that support VTT play (high-res maps, tokens, etc.) are definitely appreciated and increase the value for me, but I would still see them as optional.
A full VTT/Foundry module would of course also be nice, but that's something I am willing to pay extra.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I answered for myself, personally. But I can see many things on that list that I can easily see would be helpful to many people. It is a pretty good list you have there!

In fact, the only one that seems of little value is the last - the number of folks I know who own a 3d printer is small. And, I think those models are probably enough work to make that it is totally fair to sell that as a separate product.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I answered for myself, personally. But I can see many things on that list that I can easily see would be helpful to many people. It is a pretty good list you have there!

In fact, the only one that seems of little value is the last - the number of folks I know who own a 3d printer is small. And, I think those models are probably enough work to make that it is totally fair to sell that as a separate product.
I actually offer some of my products with an STL/OBJ file for 3D printing... here's two of my starship designs 3D printed.

0915181534.jpg

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I clicked on the link assuming it was an open-ended question, and was trying to decide between BMW X5M and a Porsche 911s Cabriolet.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Let's say you are interested in an RPG product, which of these options would you like to see included? Assume that if you buy a hard copy, you also get all of the digital options as well. The poll options are digital-only, as those are easy to distribute. If you want to see a physical product, select other and state why.
Other: none of the above.

I want hard copy only, as I don't have a computer behind my screen and only run games in person; and as I'm in theory already paying for the printing once when I buy the hard copy I don't want to pay (in toner etc.) to print it out again.

aramis erak

Legend
When I buy hardcopy...
I want the hardcopy to be readably large, clear, light solid background with dark blue or black ink. highlights in red ink.
I want a PDF of same; for screen use on laptop, and not DRM'd.
I want a "printer friendly" black on white PDF for my eink tablet. Again, no DRM.

Why the colored backgrounds, but not sepiatone images? Scotopic sensitivity. Too high a contrast, and things get all floaty off the page. Which makes the dyslexia harder to compensate for.

Why the black on white printer friendly? 1: I can print excerpts on colored paper. 2: my eInk reader's screen is light gray; the black on it is awesome for my reading. (Boyue Likebook Alita 10". I look forward to color coming down where I can afford it.)

While I like tokens and paper minis, preferably color files and black&White outline versions, they're not an expectation.
I do like any multi-page maps to have a singular larger format separate map PDF.

Remove ads