• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What kind of a character builder are you?

What kind of character builder are you?

• Single Class (1-20 all the way!)

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • Single Class + Prestige Class

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Single Class + Multiple Prestige Classes

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Multi-Class (two core classes only)

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Multi-Class (two or more) + Prestige Class

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • Multi-Class (two or more) + Multiple Prestige Classes

Votes: 17 13.0%

Henry

Autoexreginated
I tend to stick with single class, plus maybe a prestige, but not often. In practice, I often end up 80% of levels in one class, a smattering in another class for optimization, then the rest in a prestige class, if I find one interesting. The good part about feats and skills are that they can give you a character so different from another, that multi-classes usually isn't even necessary, though.

Single class all the way. In 2e, I made a dwarven fighter/cleric, but that wasn't really to my liking. In 3e I actually tried a wizard/fighter/spellsword. Didn't like it one bit. The improved combat abilities were kinda nice, but my character concept felt very, well, scattered.

Dracomeander

First Post
I voted single-class plus single prestige class simply because a multiple choice wasn't available.

Like most who've commented, I start with a concept for the character then look for the class(es) and prestige class(es) that most fit the concept. Usually it comes down to the pretige class that comes closest to the character concept, and I take the base classes that will lead me into it.

I've only had one character that took multiple prestige classes. The character concept was for a rogue based Arcane Archer, but through the course of play the character exhibited such strong beliefs in everyone's right to free choice that he ended up alternating levels between Holy Liberator and Arcane Archer following a suggestion from the DM.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
shilsen said:
None of those on your list. I come up with a character concept and then choose the classes that'll fit it. So depending on the concept it could be single-class or multi-class.

Yep, that about sums it up.

The Auld Grump

Arc

First Post
I tend to focus first on developing a cool character concept, history and persona - and then I min/max it to be as optimal as possible. Most of the time, that means 2 base classes and 1+ PrC's (planned, at least). Sometimes, it just means single classing with a few well selected feats. Sometimes, it's a horrible almagation of 5 or 6 classes total. It all depends on the character.

The nice thing about doing it this way is I get the heart of the character done first, and then worry about the mechanics. Not only that, but I find that the character ends up a lot cooler once I think about how to optimize him, since I'm willing to consider non-standard/traditional builds and combat styles. My favorite character ended up this way - originally meant to be a straightforward fighter/rogue, he turned into an amazingly entertaining swashbuckler/rogue/invisible blade that used TWF and daggers to suprising effectiveness - and amazing style.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
shilsen said:
None of those on your list. I come up with a character concept and then choose the classes that'll fit it. So depending on the concept it could be single-class or multi-class.

Same here. I have trouble viewing a character as a simple collection of cut and dried rules as opposed to a dynamic personality.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I didn't vote because it really depends on what I'm playing, considering both numbers, class, and concept. I like sticking to one class, but I like to splash: fighter with paladin, cleric with barbarian, etc. Typically I won't multiclass with a spellcaster unless there's something I'd really like to try.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I'm willing to answer the question based on what I most often do to get my character concept to work, which is multi + prc. Unlike Henry, I very rarely find that a single base class actually mechanicly represents what I'm going for in a character.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Single class. 3.x has a lot of bookkeeping, which I'm not very good at, so it helps me to keep it simple and just monitor one class progression. Not that I'm opposed to the others, and have multi-classed on occasion, but I'm most comfortable with a single class.

Warrior Poet

sniffles

First Post
shilsen said:
I voted "Single class and prestige class", but what Shilsen says is really what I do. If it took me 3 base classes and 3 PrC's to get where I wanted to go, that's what I'd do. I'd probably do a lot more single-classing all the way if they didn't keep coming up with so many appealing PrCs, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads